runny nose & clear liquid just started pouring out her backside

my hubby was just reading in backyard poultry about ,chronic respiratory disease caused by mycoplasma gallisepticum ,it's transmitted bysmall bird dropings as sparrow and finches ...and i have finch feeders and my chickens free range around the feeder areas........OMG i wounder if thats it....they need antibiotics fast

Quote:
Pine can do it to them too. I had a BO hen that had all the signs of respiratory illnesses come to find out it was pine dust from the shavings that was irritating her breathing passages. Just a suggestion.

i just went out to the coop to check on the other chcikens and 3 more hens are sounding bad , omg!!! i can't take it ..gonna try to find a vet that treats chckens first thin in the morning ..praying my little friends make untill i can get some meds in them ..thanks everyone who tryed to help me ..you have been such a help lisening to me cry
sad.png

From what I am reading, you brought in the new barred rock a few weeks ago and she was the first to show symptoms, right? Since then, several more have started showing symptoms, right? There are a number of poultry diseases that can cause respiratory issues and I am far from an expert to know what could be causing your birds to be sick. However, I am thinking that your new girl brought it with her. My best suggestion is to separate all the sick birds form the healthy ones. If you have only a few healthy ones, it may be best to pull them out and keep them in a separate kennel or something since some disease spread through feces (so keeping them in the old area may not keep the protected even if they are away from the sick birds). Unfortunately, some of the diseases are treatable; however, the bird is always a carrier meaning that new birds would be susceptible to the disease. I think visiting a vet would be a good choice to determine what the problem is and how best to treat it.

Another option is to go to a feed store, they often carry antibioics for chickens. I would try to keep them warm and comfortable until you can get hold of some.

I agree with BarkerChickens at this point. I too was thinking the new bird brought this with it. I brought home a chick last summer that was infected with Coryza. I had no clue of course, until I threw it in with some newly hatched ones and it had already been in a box with some older chicks that I threw into the coop brooder. Needless to say, that one little bantam chick infected my whole flock of 50.
hmm.png
I cannot stress enough to people to quarantine any new birds you get. I realize that at this point, hind site is 20/20, but please quarantine any new birds you bring home for at least 4 wks. in the future. It will save you from having to deal with any situations of this sort again.

As far as what to do. I was hoping that someone with lots of poultry experience would find your thread last night and help you out. At this point, I think it is going to be of the utmost importance that you identify the disease your birds have so you know how to treat it and if it is treatable. Some diseases leave your flock carriers for life and will require a lot of culling. (I lost some of my birds to the Coryza and also had to cull many of them to eradicate the disease.) As far as just putting them on antibiotics goes, it's not good to jump into things like this blind and try to just treat them. You need to know what your birds have to be able to treat it effectively. Different antibiotics treat different bacterial infections. You also need to know the disease you are dealing with so you will be able to find out about the carrier status and what you need to do to deal with that.

I wish you and your flock the best of luck and I hope you can get to the bottom of this quickly.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom