Runny Nose

Hi Miss Lydia! I just wanted to give you another update! Cheese is doing wonderfully! I haven't seen his legs shake in two days! Although he is still laying down more than before the scare, he really seems to be fine! They are growing like weeds and I'm going to need to figure out how to get them into a bigger space soon lol
If you'd like, I'd love to hear about your babies!
smile.png
Wonderful news, I'm very excited to hear Cheese is doing great, and I think it's just natural for them to lay down alot, when I first had ducklings and it's been quite a while ago, I would worry when I would see them walk and lay down but I think it's just part of the growing process. Amiga has Runners so she can tell you more about how they are as youngins, but sounds like you have 2 very healthy ducklings to me. PS even now when I have ducklings hatch I still worry and fret over them,

Right now my youngest duck is 10 months old she was hatched last June an only child under my duck Ruth Ann, I do have a duck sitting on 4 of my gooses eggs right now, Hatch day is around May 13-14. If your interested in seeing my flock look up my profile I have lots of pics. My oldest duck which is a drake he is 9 years old and then I have 3 solid white scovys that will be 9yrs in July all the rest are from 5yrs to 10 months. I love my flock they are a joy to my life. As you are finding out with Cheese and Quackers.
smile.png

Okay, Miss Lydia - I'm back with another Cheese question. At 7.5 weeks, he and Quackers are now outside ducks (broken hearted momma lol). Just yesterday, he started limping and laying down a lot again. I'm thinking this is another growth-spurt type situation we had going on with the shaky legs but of course I'm a little worried. We've been playing with his legs constantly, looking for cuts or bumble foot or warmth and right now it appears he's just limping. Any thoughts?

How are your babies? :) Hatch day just passed - are they all here and healthy?

Last edited:
At this point I'm wondering if this is the beginning of bumble foot. Argh! What should I do?
When you look on the bottom of his foot do you see anything that would make you think Bumble? sore, red ,blk scab? swollen? he may have just stepped into a hole or like you said just a growth spurt, are you still giving them niacin or brewers yeast, they really need to be having it till 10-12 weeks old. you could mix some Epsom salt into some warm water in a small pan or bucket and soak his foot and leg a couple times a day and see if that helps. just don't let him drink the water since ES is a laxative, but it is great for sprains bruises and even bumble.

Last edited:
When you look on the bottom of his foot do you see anything that would make you think Bumble? sore, red ,blk scab? swollen? he may have just stepped into a hole or like you said just a growth spurt, are you still giving them niacin or brewers yeast, they really need to be having it till 10-12 weeks old.  you could mix some Epsom salt into some warm water in a small pan or bucket and soak his foot and leg a couple times a day and see if that helps. just don't let him drink the water since ES is a laxative, but it is great for sprains bruises and even bumble.

Hi Miss Lydia - Sorry it took so long to get back to you! It's been a busy week. I got Cheese to the vet on Monday (where he got to spend 2 hours cuddling in my lap, not fighting for space with Quackers :)) and it was an infection. We caught it really early, thankfully. He's on antibiotics and strict bed rest for 5-7 days. Already he's doing much better! We let them out for a few minutes twice a day and he's barely limping and running and playing again :) Yay! The vet thinks he must have gotten a small cut from the new terrain when we moved them outside and apparently they can get infections in their feet really easily. I'm so relieved again! Watching him play for the few minutes a day makes a mom so happy :)

Back
Top Bottom