Runny poo?

If they are getting "pasty butt" cleaning off their bottoms is recommended.

Here's some tips on managing it from: http://urbanfarmingandchickenconsultant.wordpress.com/tag/pasty-butt/

Pasty Butt (Blocked Vent)
A blocked vent is sometimes due to temperature fluctuations suffered by young chicks or more fragile breeds and can be due to stress. There may be other causes, as well. With young chicks, check the temperature in your brooder to ensure it is not fluctuating significantly.
A blocked vent is fatal if not taken care of quickly. A chick suffering pasty butt must be checked on throughout the day and will probably need treatment several times a day for several days.
Treatment:
Clean use a damp rag to remove poo from vent. If the poo is hard, you can soak the chicks bottom in a dish of warm water or put the chicks bottom under warm running water to help remove it.
Dry thoroughly dry the chick. Leaving a chick wet can reduce its immunity and leave it vulnerable to illness or infection.
Olive Oil once the chick is dry, use a Q-tip to gently apply olive oil around the vent to help prevent poos from sticking too hard.
Apple Cider Vinegar several BYCers add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to drinking water to prevent or reduce the severity of pasty butt. (one tablespoon per gallon)

As for the corid-we have the standard plastic chick waterers (20oz?). 1/2 tsp in a gallon is very small-my measuring spoons only go to 1/4 tsp and i know the waterers arent 1/2 galln. Should i just put a pinch in? How long do i leave it, or do i remix it every time i refill their water for....well....how many days?

I use an empty, cleaned out gallon container from ice tea that I bought, to mix up a batch of Corid water and then I fill their water dish from that jug, so I don't have to alter the measurement. I'm on the second gallon mix now, after 3 days of giving it and not too much wasted. If the dish gets debris in it, I dump it and rinse it out before refilling, so I am wasting a little here and there, but not too much. I'm using a big hard shell dog travel kennel for a brooder, and I have a bird cage water cup that hooks onto the metal grid of the door. I tried using a chick waterer, but they got pine shavings in it constantly and managed to splash water out of it all the time, making the bedding damp.

If you can't get your hands on a gallon jug to mix it up in, I would just measure out the 1/4 tsp, dump it into a saucer and divide it in half with a butter knife, just eyeing out the split, to get your 1/8 tsp for your size waterer. That should be close enough.

Last edited:
We always have gallon jugs! I hear you on the pine shavings in the waterer. My chicks seem to have figured out if they do that "nails on a chalkboard" chirp loud enough at 2am i will check on them and clean it out. And again at 3am....and 5....and 7....im changing bedding almost daily (they were doing great abd suddenly they seem intent on dust bathing in the shavings). It seems like the poo is returning to normal, but i have the corid and im watching them closely just in case.

Back
Top Bottom