Runny Poops!

teira

Songster
May 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Hello, one of my chickens has had really runny poops for awhile and only recently striked concern since it's been happening so much and her bum fluff is starting to become poopy, she seems 100% fine, she eats and drinks and preens like any other chicken and shes got a big personality and is very hyper. I'm just curious as to what people think could be the cause, her poops aren't ALWAYS runny however, she does have occasional solid poops. Does this look normal? I'm worried about possible kidney damage because of how watery it is.
IMG_20190121_213656_173.jpg

Last edited:
No, it really doesn't look normal. And chickens are very good at hiding when they feel ill. If you can examine her crop, please do.

If she were mine, I would give electrolytes and probiotics. (Electrolytes can help with the dehydration resulting from diarrhea and probiotics will hopefully help balance out her gut fauna until they're working to properly digest again.) Both can be bought at your local farm store; electrolytes can also be made at home (1 pinch salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp sweetner [honey, corn syrup, sugar] and two qts water.)

Good luck with your hen.

Thank You!

I gave her some electrolytes I had in my med kit her crop feels fine to my knowledge, she'd just eaten some pellets, don't have any probiotics though, I'll have to pick some up.

Nothing is too graphic, poop pics are a good diagnostic tool.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Is she the only bird that has funky poops?

Yes, she is the only bird who's been having such liquidous poops, her poops are varied like any normal chicken but when she has diarrhea it's always very distinct like mashed up pellets and water. This morning she has dry normal chicken poops. She just gets a 16% protein layer pellet along with some regular old scraps like clementines, apples, lettuce ect. Last night I gave her some electrolytes and ACV, not sure if thats the cause for the normal poops today. She hasn't been dewormed before

Back
Top Bottom