Runt Cornish

AMaggio

Chirping
Jun 21, 2019
Hey all, I've raised four other batches of meat birds but in this set one of them is still little. I thought maybe they gave me the wrong breed because she wasn't putting in much weight. One week later i can confirm she's a cornish but she's still so much smaller than the others that i had to break up the batch and put her in her own little group because she was getting toppled and stepped on. She's still eating but sits most of the day and isn't very active compared to the others. I've put some b12 in the water for a week and she seemed to perk up a bit but she's back down again this week. Any idea what might be the problem? I'm thinking I'll start the b12 up again and maybe some honey water with apple cider vinegar as a boost.

I also have small Cornish. I also have 4 huge ones which are have trouble walking at 5 wks. I’ll take the runts any day. They’re feisty little things, even challenging the full grown birds.

I bought some nutradrench for her. My mom has been watching over her and today the chick sounded congested. She was making crackling/ whistle noises when she breathed. Hopefully this will help her get back on her feet

Sadly the little chick passed away. She was sleeping on my lap after a feeding when she had a sudden seizure-like episode, though i think it may have been a heart attack. Her comb and feet were pale when i got home so i knew this was a possibility. Rip

Hey all, I've raised four other batches of meat birds but in this set one of them is still little. I thought maybe they gave me the wrong breed because she wasn't putting in much weight. One week later i can confirm she's a cornish but she's still so much smaller than the others that i had to break up the batch and put her in her own little group because she was getting toppled and stepped on. She's still eating but sits most of the day and isn't very active compared to the others. I've put some b12 in the water for a week and she seemed to perk up a bit but she's back down again this week. Any idea what might be the problem? I'm thinking I'll start the b12 up again and maybe some honey water with apple cider vinegar as a boost.
I'd be interested as to how she is doing: my 'runt cornish' turned out to be a Leghorn rooster but it took almost 12 wks to realize it.

Back
Top Bottom