runt not doing good

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
Gold brabanter about 4 wks old.
I noticed tonight when I checked on the chicks that she doesnt seem to be growing. She was slightly smaller than the other brabanter and the two faves but they. Are now all more than twice her size. I haven't noticed them picking at her, I have seen her eat and drink. Feathers are growing in nicely, eyes bright, very active, breathing normal. But I noticed her breast bone is sticking out significantly. No meat on her it seems like.

My daughter brought her back in the house and has her in a box with heat, food, and water. Oh and a stuffed chicken toy to keep her company. The temp in her box is about. 80 degrees.
thoughts or suggestions anyone?

Edit - I just had my kiddo boil an egg to mix the yolk with yogurt and raw oatmeal. I also suggested she soak some of the chick feed in warm water to see if thats more appealing.

Edit part deux- she ate all the yogurt oatmeal yolk mix and then fell asleep on my daughters lap
0507112104.jpg

Last edited:
I had an EE that was growing with everyone just fine until week 5 everyone else started to surpass her.... she had a severely curved beak like a parrots it was making it so she couldn't grab food easily. Unfortunately we didn't catch it soon enough even with beak trimming she didn't survive. Check e beak to see if she too could need a small trim to help with eating.

Isn't that too early to be outside and shouldn't they still be on the chick starter?

Quote:
They are mostly in the coop with a heat lamp, in the warm corner it was 88 today, the cooler corner it was 78.
I'm not 100% sure on the ages we got them april 22nd. we were told they were 2-3 wks old then.
They have been on the chick starter, and the bigger ones still are on it, and whatever bugs they catch during outside play time with me.
I am trying other things with Tiki though, I feel it's a last ditch effort because she really isn't doing well. She looks good and just small at a glance, but she is so thin you can feel every bone in her, her breast bone juts out so far. She does have chick feed available 24 hrs a day.
I will try to get a side by side comparison today with her clutch mate so you can see how significant it is.

Here is a pic from early on, you can see there isn't a huge size difference.
she is on the left
DSCF7045.jpg

Back
Top Bottom