Runt of the litter, possible health issues, getting concerned

billygoat162

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2016
American Southwest
I picked up about a dozen day old feed store chicks on May 28th so they’re about 10 days old now. About 5 of them got pasty butt in the first few days and 4 of the 5 are doing ok now. One of them has been getting pasty butt constantly since day one and I have to clean her vent 2-3 times a day. She is about half the size of the other chicks now and I had to separate her because there isn’t any down left on her butt and the others were pecking at it.

I put Neosporin on her vent and she seems fine otherwise, but keeps getting pasty butt and is not growing nearly as fast as the rest of them. I’m starting to wonder if there is a birth defect or health condition that could be causing this. The lack of growth has me most concerned. Has anyone encountered this before?

Can you please posts some photos of the chick, her poop, the vent and your brooder?

How warm is your brooder?
What are you feeding?

Pasty butt can be from a number of things - if this chick is smaller, then it may need more heat than the others. Since they came from a feed store (Like TSC?) sometimes bins and chicks get mixed up - is it possible you have a bantam?
Is this chick the same breed as the others? It can be hard to compare chicks even within the same breed - I've found that hatchery chicks can grow at different rates as well.

One thing you can do is weigh her now and start tracking her weight to see if she's gaining.

How have you been cleaning her bum?

Can you please posts some photos of the chick, her poop, the vent and your brooder?

What are you feeding?

Pasty butt can be from a number of things - if this chick is smaller, then it may need more heat than the others. Since they came from a feed store (Like TSC?) sometimes bins and chicks get mixed up - is it possible you have a bantam?
Is this chick the same breed as the others? It can be hard to compare chicks even within the same breed - I've found that hatchery chicks can grow at different rates as well.

One thing you can do is weigh her now and start tracking her weight to see if she's gaining.

I’ve been using warm running water to clean her and I’m feeding her IFA chick starter. She is supposed to be a black australorp, along with 3 of the others. The store didn’t have any bantams. I imagine mixups can happen at the hatchery, but her coloring is identical to the others. I don’t think she’s a bantam.

I’m not sure on temperature, my thermometer is missing at the moment—I’ve been watching the chicks and adjusting the distance from the lamp based on their behavior. For the past 8 years I’ve just let broodies do all the work for me, but I don’t have any broodies left.

Here’s a few photos. I’ll get better ones posted in a bit.
32EFCBA5-049B-48DE-A75E-158D9F5B8F35.jpeg
12AA38BF-CC15-4FEC-A45E-9C35D64A7832.jpeg
32AD1B38-DCD4-41C9-8211-680779F9CD66.jpeg

What are you feeding?

she’s TINY

7333C674-694C-4350-96EF-3F1C6D27E9A6.jpeg
41B2AE0A-A5DA-4384-BB78-784C2BB5577D.jpeg
50936CDB-8A88-44B3-922B-839DD1739B5D.jpeg
98461FCA-68D3-4202-8475-785581725359.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E91D881-1D4B-4EFB-B89E-E9C29D654EC9.jpeg
    8E91D881-1D4B-4EFB-B89E-E9C29D654EC9.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 0
Hey there! I had a very similar experience with 2 of my chicks. Pasty butt for nearly 2 weeks straight and much smaller with slower feather development than the others. They are now almost 8 weeks old and doing great! They're still a bit smaller than the other chickens but sometimes I have to take a minute to be able to tell them apart. (I have all Delaware chicks and their color patterns are still shifting as they grow so it's a bit hard to tell who's who at times.)
At 2 weeks old you should be nearly past the constant pasty butt stage. 1 TBSP ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)/ Gallon of water can be helpful clearing things up and you can give it to all your chicks. ACV with the 'mother' is best as it has good probiotics also.
Also, a little coconut oil can help. I've read that freezing it can be the easiest way as you can then break off little 'chips' to feed your chick.
Some folks also swear by making a 'mash' with the chick starter. Basically moistening the food so your chick is getting extra hydration when she eats.
Other than what you're already doing and maybe some of the above suggestions, just keep an eye and ear out to be sure your chick is still pooping well (no small, dry poops) and not making painful sounding noises when she goes. One of mine got constipated and I had to give it 2 enemas to clear things up (smh, never in my life). It was either that or cull which I didn't want to do without trying everything. I hope you don't have to do that one!
Good luck with your chick!

The vent looks a little damage, maybe from the others picking at it.

I would keep her warm, but make it where she can get away from the heat too. Keep her area clean - you can use puppy pads to line her brooder.
See that she's drinking well. If she's tiny, then offering a small amount of wet soup chick starter may help her eat better.

Ointment or oil can be apply to the vent to help it heal. Hopefully she's doing better.

Back
Top Bottom