Rural King feed - Country Road

I use country roads as a chick starter/grower, scratch, and layer. I haven't had any problems with egg production or chicken happiness.

This. I have a couple bags and it's decent stuff. I just used up my coupons I got for buying chicks, but I'm switching to a local feed mill. It's cheaper and they grow their own stuff, so I'll be supporting local farmers with it.

I've been involved with showing dogs for a decade in a couple of events. The one thing I've noticed is that the people winning the most aren't feeding Taste of the Wild or other high end premium dog food. My dogs did horrible on it. Same with Diamond Naturals,Canidae, etc... My dogs have done way better on Ol Roy brown bag and Sportmix black bag than any other feed. Turns out, this is exactly what almost every other winning kennel feeds, too. There's quite a myth going around in the animal feed industry.

I have access to "King Feed" at my local feed store. It is out of California. I live in Reno Nevada. I am not sure if it is the same feed that you are all talking about because it does not say Royal on it. I want to find an economical "natural" feed that is accessible to me. I have heard bad things about Purina, but I don't know how accurate the complaints are about that brand. I just don't know much about feeds at all

ngrind up your old roy and put it in a clear glass of water and see what your feeding your dogs I showed dogs for many years and don't remember any good breeders that used cheap food all my heardind and conformation champs were feed a high quality premium food less food less waste better coats and energy than a food that costs less than the sack it comes in all the breeders of livestock that I know have always said feed junk raise junk ecomomy comes from guality feed the best you can find and you will have healthy and happy animals

ngrind up your old roy and put it in a clear glass of water and see what your feeding your dogs I showed dogs for many years and don't remember any good breeders that used cheap food all my heardind and conformation champs were feed a high quality premium food less food less waste better coats and energy than a food that costs less than the sack it comes in all the breeders of livestock that I know have always said feed junk raise junk ecomomy comes from guality feed the best you can find and you will have healthy and happy animals

Exactly. That was my question. Since I don't know a lot about chicken feed I was asking who knows about good quality brands I am interested in feeding my animals the best food that I can afford, but I am not prepared to pay a fortune for shipping, This was why I was asking about brands. I just paid 35 dollars for a bag of organic feed from my feed store. But more expensive is not necessarily more quality.

ngrind up your old roy and put  it  in a clear glass of water and see what your feeding your dogs  I showed dogs for many years and don't remember any good breeders that used cheap food all my heardind and conformation champs were feed a high quality premium food less food less waste better coats and energy than a food that costs less than the sack it comes in  all the breeders of livestock that I know have always said feed junk raise junk  ecomomy comes from guality feed the best you can find and you will have healthy and happy animals 

Sure, in theory and on paper Ol Roy sucks. In practice, I've seen like brands constantly outperform the "premium" kibble. WTH would I feed Orijen or Taste of the Wild when I saw first hand that my dogs did worse on it? I'm talking horrible. Too fatigued to go for a walk, patches of hair missing, sores, smell bad, losing weight, etc... I'm guessing someone will use the excuse of a detox period. Sorry, but I'm not convinced that going from a "worse" feed to a high quality "premium" feed should make the dog look like its dying before getting better. It's the same exact thing I've seen in other kennels and the same thing I've heard from other breeders. In my experience, the only people really pushing "premium" kibble are people that aren't active with the dogs. I don't think it's a coincidence in over 10 years and a kennel full of dogs (11 dogs), all have done great on Ol Roy High Pro and black bag Sportmix and 9 of them have done worse on feed such as the old Canidae, ToTW, Van Pattens, etc... Like I said, it's just not mine either.

I have a rural king now just 6 miles south of us. in Bonita Springs Fl. I have a friend in Naples that drives here to get his feed. all of his chickens lay medium eggs he has rhode Island reds, Delaware's , and buff Orpington's. they should be laying a large egg at least. I use Manna pro and my eggs are large and extra large. when I got some of his eggs this year to hatch I thought they were light weight so I took them into the house and they were medium and a few small. I also used some of the chick starter and grower from there they are missing something in that feed. I had [problems with feed and legs with the chicks also put 2 down as they walked around the brooder with they're the top of theyre head on the floor I hit them in the head also. stopped using that and all the troubles quit. just my 2 cents worth. don't want anyone to run into the costly venture I did trying to save a few dollars.

I've been feeding Dumor starter grower and layer pellets, Naturewise starter grower, Country Road layer crumbles and pellets, Country Feeds (all flock) , and Purina Layena (whatever I can get for the best price) for the last year. Haven't lost any birds and they all seem healthy and happy.
I don't believe egg size has much to do with what feed they get. The eggs start small (pee wee, even) get larger over the first year or so. No matter what feed my girls get, there are some that lay medium, some large, some extra large, and some jumbo.

I noticed for a while the feed had a very unusual sweet smell. Like I would open the storage can and it was pungant. Our girls have been eating this brand since peeps now year old. I noticed the egg shells started getting crumbly and one of the hens started getting vent prolapse. Switched to Nature Wise. Shells seem stronger. Lilly is getting better. And feed smells like grain.

Back
Top Bottom