Russian Orloff laying rate?

Thank you! Their laying rate is only part of the equation, of course. It's the hubs and I for breakfasts, with a weekly recipe or two calling for eggs--I seldom bake. Their temperament and quiet nature is what appeals to me. It seems so at odds with their fierce, noble bearing, doesn't it?
Yes, they do look rather fierce -- rather like game birds.

I know this question isn't addressed to me, but I can also answer based on my Orloff. She is quiet, much more so than my other four birds, and I would say she is friendly, though not in the cuddly way (i.e. she will come over to me but hates being touched and/or picked up).

Keep in mind that I have only the one Orloff and no prior experience with the breed, so I have nothing to compare her to.
That's a pretty good assessment of the breed's personality. They definitely have had a middle of the road, I don't care what everyone else is doing attitude. The glare never goes away.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I want to share my experience...

I got 2 orloffs 11 months ago from TSC, who claims they’re from Townline Hatchery.

They were adorable brown chipmunk chicks, and had a preference for insect treats rather than grain treats. They were always the smallest birds among my 3 (1x BSL, 2xEE, 2xRO).

They started laying around 5-6months, right before Christmas.

And since then, they seem to lay eggs every second day, and occasionally 2 eggs every 3 days, making it 3-5 eggs a week.

The eggs are barely medium sized eggs .. weighing in at around 49 grams.

As for noise level, one of my orloffs is my quiestest hen, while the other... is the loudest. She just keeps going allllll day. this prompted me to make several threads on byc questioning her gender, lol! Fortunately they both turned out to be females...

Temperament wise, I would say they dont mind me, can eat out of my hands just fine, and will put up with being carried, but tend to be the flightiest of all my birds. None of my chickens (with the exception of my satin) are the type to sit in my lap and be petted, but neither are they hard to catch. I’m sure if you spent more time than I did with them as chicks, they can end up being fairly loving birds.

If I had to redo my flock, I would do all EEs. They are not gluttonous like my BSL and lay decent sized eggs (about 5-6 eggs a week). Not to mention the eggs are really pretty!

I’ll attach some photos for your viewing pleasure!

Eggs (sorry the lighting is horrendous...)

the orloff eggs are the two light brown mediums eggs up top. The small one at the bottom is a peewee satin egg.
The BSL eggs is the darker brown jumbo egg to the right, and the large blue/green ones are EE eggs.

49B5E573-E9A5-41EB-BA0F-9600CD723969.jpeg

2 or 3 weeks old

6DB1EAD7-0F62-4220-8B03-CED3578D279C.jpeg

8 weeks old

1C6DB89B-3A1F-407E-9745-83D086A29374.png

6 weeks old D2A6BABA-1341-4158-90EE-2B8337B7A834.png

Beard came in nicely
716F9D2F-E512-44D8-94B1-04260B5AE3FD.png

Pullets a month of so before they laid
A8D18A10-FDE3-4652-BD8C-74FFDD478899.jpeg

The quieter one like to follow me inside and steal the cat’s food...

8939CED9-6DD4-4AB1-B088-24111BA62CBF.jpeg

This photo was taken sometime this spring
FF893145-2A53-47DC-93BD-4ACDBB7BFEFD.jpeg

My ROs have all taken their sweet time to start laying. 6-7 months. I get on average 3 eggs a week even from my 6 year old. Their eggs are very easy to identify. They tend to be slender light, light brown almost pink. They are all Privet birds. Paying their way is a stretch but my flock will always have a few. Some of my craziest looking EEs have been out of their eggs.
What are EE’s?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I want to share my experience...

I got 2 orloffs 11 months ago from TSC, who claims they’re from Townline Hatchery.

They were adorable brown chipmunk chicks, and had a preference for insect treats rather than grain treats. They were always the smallest birds among my 3 (1x BSL, 2xEE, 2xRO).

They started laying around 5-6months, right before Christmas.

And since then, they seem to lay eggs every second day, and occasionally 2 eggs every 3 days, making it 3-5 eggs a week.

The eggs are barely medium sized eggs .. weighing in at around 49 grams.

As for noise level, one of my orloffs is my quiestest hen, while the other... is the loudest. She just keeps going allllll day. this prompted me to make several threads on byc questioning her gender, lol! Fortunately they both turned out to be females...

Temperament wise, I would say they dont mind me, can eat out of my hands just fine, and will put up with being carried, but tend to be the flightiest of all my birds. None of my chickens (with the exception of my satin) are the type to sit in my lap and be petted, but neither are they hard to catch. I’m sure if you spent more time than I did with them as chicks, they can end up being fairly loving birds.

If I had to redo my flock, I would do all EEs. They are not gluttonous like my BSL and lay decent sized eggs (about 5-6 eggs a week). Not to mention the eggs are really pretty!

I’ll attach some photos for your viewing pleasure!

Eggs (sorry the lighting is horrendous...)

the orloff eggs are the two light brown mediums eggs up top. The small one at the bottom is a peewee satin egg.
The BSL eggs is the darker brown jumbo egg to the right, and the large blue/green ones are EE eggs.

View attachment 2695217

2 or 3 weeks old

View attachment 2695209

8 weeks old

View attachment 2695210

6 weeks oldView attachment 2695211

Beard came in nicely
View attachment 2695212

Pullets a month of so before they laid
View attachment 2695213

The quieter one like to follow me inside and steal the cat’s food...

View attachment 2695214

This photo was taken sometime this spring
View attachment 2695218
I love your post--thank you for "reviving an old thread." I wish I'd seen it earlier. It might be impractical, but the Orloffs just make me want some. Maybe I'll do them and EE's together. :)

Back
Top Bottom