Russian Orloff not herself

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
My Russian Orloff has been acting odd for about 2 months now. Had since she was a chick and she has always been healthy
She is around 6 yrs old so I chalked it up to age at first. She mostly sits around, sometimes on her haunches. She does eat and drink well, still enjoys snacks. Hasn't laid for a couple of yrs but I'm sure that is age related. When she eats or drinks, she starts out standing up, then slowly sinks down on her haunches as if it's too much effort to stand. I did find some mites on her - she doesn't dust bathe like she used to. Treated her twice with a Pyrethrin dip and didn't get any the 2nd time. Treated the entire coop and bedding after that and haven't found any more on her. She can walk normally when she wants to and will often join the rest of the flock in a favorite sunny area - almost 100 ft from the coop. She goes into the coop at night but no longer roosts, finds a spot on the floor. Her comb is still red so I'm at a loss as to what is ailing her. I've tried vitamins in the water but she doesn't seem to drink when they are in it.
I'm hoping someone might have some ideas.
rusky_2019.jpg

Attachments

• rusky_2019.jpg
    rusky_2019.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 3
  • rusky_2019.jpg
    rusky_2019.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 2
been acting odd for about 2 months
6 yrs old
mostly sits around, sometimes on her haunches. She does eat and drink well, still enjoys snacks. Hasn't laid for a couple of yrs
When she eats or drinks, she starts out standing up, then slowly sinks down on her haunches as if it's too much effort to stand.
She goes into the coop at night but no longer roosts, finds a spot on the floor.

I'm sorry she is not doing well.

Check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks, consider getting a fecal float to rule out worms and look at her feet just in case she has any scabs/sores.

With her age, her not laying in a couple of years - feel the abdomen between the legs/under the vent for bloat/swelling or fluid. It's hard to know with chickens, but reproductive problems can be common and have similar symptoms you describe.

I'm sorry she is not doing well.

Check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks, consider getting a fecal float to rule out worms and look at her feet just in case she has any scabs/sores.

With her age, her not laying in a couple of years - feel the abdomen between the legs/under the vent for bloat/swelling or fluid. It's hard to know with chickens, but reproductive problems can be common and have similar symptoms you describe.
I have checked her crop and feet - seem fine. Hadn't thought of worms, but her poo does look normal. I realize that doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't have them. Guess I could worm her just to rule it out.

Having a red comb is usually a sign that a hen is ovulating. The comb goes pale and dry when they are off lay ie broody or moulting etc. Therefore her comb suggests that she is still producing follicles but you seem to be reasonably confident that she is not laying eggs, which suggests that she may be laying internally. Have you checked her abdomen by cupping your hand between her legs from behind and feeling for any fullness there and below her vent. Compare with a healthy hen at roosting time, so that you can make a direct comparison. Does she feel unusually heavy? That can be another sign. Are her butt feathers getting soiled? That is often another indication of abdominal swelling or a bald butt below her vent. Sometimes birds that are laying internally will start to walk with a wide stance as their legs are pushed apart by the mass in their abdomen. That extra weight/bulk will put a strain on their legs and make them want to hunker whenever they can.

Having a red comb is usually a sign that a hen is ovulating. The comb goes pale and dry when they are off lay ie broody or moulting etc. Therefore her comb suggests that she is still producing follicles but you seem to be reasonably confident that she is not laying eggs, which suggests that she may be laying internally. Have you checked her abdomen by cupping your hand between her legs from behind and feeling for any fullness there and below her vent. Compare with a healthy hen at roosting time, so that you can make a direct comparison. Does she feel unusually heavy? That can be another sign. Are her butt feathers getting soiled? That is often another indication of abdominal swelling or a bald butt below her vent. Sometimes birds that are laying internally will start to walk with a wide stance as their legs are pushed apart by the mass in their abdomen. That extra weight/bulk will put a strain on their legs and make them want to hunker whenever they can.
I'll chk tonight. She is a big girl but doesn't seem unusually heavy compared to my other big hens like my BOs. No butt issues. I actually thought a red comb just meant they were healthy and not moulting. I have 5 chickens her age and they all have good color in their combs but haven't seen them in a nest box for a long time.

Im’a gonna guess it’s arthritis. If everything else is normal. Baby aspirin. Us old ladies just have those kind of days. Especially when the weather is changing. :old

Back
Top Bottom