Russian Orloff?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Smartin83, Jun 11, 2019.

1. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Crowing

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    Yep, looks like a Spangled Russian Orloff pullet to me. They are great little birds.

2. orrpeople

orrpeople Grading essays - be back soon!

Jun 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    Okay, sorry to chime in late, but everyone keeps saying how great Orloffs are - and mine are freaks! They're more skittish than my leghorns! They're pretty, but completly lose their minds when I go in their pen. They live next door to the super-people-friendly Swedish Flower Hens, so it's not something they picked up from the flock. They're still young (9-10 weeks), so maybe they mellow out?

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Mine are the friendliest, most calm pen in the barn. They are constantly underfoot and look up as if to say "Hello. What ya doin? Did you bring me something?"

ColtHandorf and orrpeople like this.
  4. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Crowing

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    Mine were also very sweet and gentle. I kept them in with the Easter Eggers because my males always died of very freak accidents and I was never able to breed them. But they were lovely birds. I'd love to have some Mahogany Orloffs someday.

orrpeople likes this.
  5. orrpeople

orrpeople Grading essays - be back soon!

Jun 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I'm really hoping they mature into the sweet, social creatures they're supposed to be... for now... well... they're just odd. Maybe it's a language barrier :) I will brush up my Russian and see if that helps!

Aunt Angus and ColtHandorf like this.
  6. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I see what you did there! Thanks for the chuckle!
    :gig

orrpeople likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: