Russian Orloffs

Thanks! The other pics posted by other members are lovely. Thanks
for starting this thread Fowlafoot! I hope all you Orloff owners come
forward!
ya.gif
ya.gif
: ya

I haven't run into the problem of the layers slowing way down. However we treat our Orloffs the same as we treat our slow maturing oriental gamefowl. They freerange as soon as they are feathered in until late fall, catching most of their own food. We still throw a 16% protein feed mix to them and handle them reguarly to make sure they seem to be getting the right amounts. We do not use artifical lighting to encourage winter laying and do not start feeding any layer pellets until they are about a year old.

They should do fine in a 3 sided shelter as long as the wind and rain/snow are kept off of them and the ground is dry with some type of bedding.

Banter, what luck! After two weeks I would have almost given up hope.

As for different colors I'm working on a project. All reference material to the Orloffs origins I've been able to find indicate that they are decended from Malays. So one of my Orloff roosters is actually in a pen with a wheaten Malay hen as we speak. There are some type differences to breed around such as the beards, muffs, tail and wing carriage but there are more similarities than differences so I am hoping to be able to breed in wheaten and mahogany by using one of the foundation breeds.
LoveBirds.jpg

Hey!!! I LOVE these birds! I'm definately going to do some more research on them... Do you know if they come in Bantam size, or is it just standard? I'll see if I can find out...

Actually they seem to have inherited their temperments from the Malays
big_smile.png
Malays are curious, outgoing, friendly and sweet too.... they just look mean
love.gif

I LOVE my Orloffs. Mine came from Sandhill and are perhaps have a bit more white than I expected but they are beautiful! They have the friendliest personalities of any breed we have ever had. They make me smile every day. They are great free rangers, possibly a bit too great as we have lost a few to predators. I would recommend them to anyone.

fowlafoot,
I just have to interrupt and say I love every single bird you have posted so far!
lol.png
One day, I may have to get something from you!

Quote:
Thank you playingchicken,
celebrate.gif
Not to worry every now and again my husband forces me to quit naming them and sell one or two off
smile.png
and as Equibling mentioned we sell hatching eggs and yes you're still on the list Equibling!

Back
Top Bottom