Russian Orloffs

fowlafoot

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Midwest
I know there are a few other Orloff owners and breeders on here so I thought it would be nice if we all showed pictures and talked about how much we love them. Those of us who own them know they're a great breed and this is a good way to introduce this rare breed to other members. More on breed history here

SCOrloffCock.jpg

Cockerel

OrloffHen.jpg

Hen

Here's an orloff that was next to my araucanas at the NEPC show last month.

IMG_1952.jpg

I wish I had gotten a better photo. He had a deep mahogany base color. If they didn't have a tag I would have through they were a color variety of ameraucana.

The two hens along side this guy sat there fighting with each other through the coops the whole weekend.

They are very pretty
smile.png
As far as I know only the spangled variety is available in the US although I'd love to find out someone has been hiding the mahagony and black lines.

The roosters don't reach their full size until almost 2 yrs old but are 8-9lbs on average. The hens are noticably smaller (a trait that a lot of breeds with heavy asiatic influence share) at 6-7lbs and seem to be full sized at about 18 months. The hens lay well and will lay all winter if you provide the correct feed and make sure they get at least 12 hours of light, I prefer to let the hens follow their natural inclinations and don't use artificial light but certainly nothing wrong with doing it. The hens will go broody and raise their chicks. Mine are very calm and friendly too.

I've heard that Ideal's stock was originally exhibition stock and I know a friend with a cute little pullet from Ideal too. I'll see if she'll but a pic up for us here
smile.png
. The breed really doesn't have a standard anymore since the APA dropped them, I've just been breeding them based on the old APA standard with some input from friends in Denmark who had some.

They are very very nice birds we have a friend that has a few and I always drool over them. I have always heard that after the first year their laying goes way way down. Is that true?

Steve in NC

hey fowlafoot them orloffs look good. used to have two hens in my flock and thought about breeding them, but had too many projects goin on back then.

farmgirlie - where in ia you at? i've been thinking of ordering from sandhills but dont want a full order, would ya be interested in splitting one?

Back
Top Bottom