Russian Orloffs

Pics
Hey everyone,my 15 month old orloff trio of hens are producing 10 to 14 eggs weekly.Is this normal laying for this breed?The incubator has a good ratio of orloff eggs when the others start hatching again.

I was beginning to think they were going to out produce my two ancona hens,yeah right.
lol.png

quick question, I know with other larger combed breeds the roo comb typically starts to pink up and show a bit more than the pullet, is this true with the orloffs as well? I have 2 that are a little over 2 months old and they still have a pale, barely there, comb. Should a roo be showing a pink comb by now? I'll try and get some pics up later today.
Thanks and take care
Ivy

BTW, shelly, candled eggs and 7 out of 8 are showing good development on day 10.
smile.png

Quote:
Yay!!!
bun.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
I'm so happy for you!

As for the comb question...at 2 months old, MOST Orloff roos will not be pinking up. You stand a better chance of sexing them based on their stance and leg thickness. It can take a really long time to sex them by comb color.
thumbsup.gif

cool, thanks for the info
and the great eggs.
smile.png

i believe, based off of carriage and legs, that i actually have a pair. One even has a bit more of a comb than the other. They are so similar though that i won't be sure until i get eggs or somebody starts crowing. lol
once i get home i'll try to snap some pics. they are wonderful birds though. i look forward to having more.
thanks again
Ivy

okay, as promised, here are pics of my pair. frick and frack.
smile.png

72934_dsc_0016.jpg

72934_dsc_0019.jpg

72934_dsc_0022.jpg

frick
72934_dsc_0024.jpg

frack
72934_dsc_0025.jpg

as you may be able to see, one carries the tail a bit more up than the other. they both have very similar upright stance and posture. legs look very similar, haven't noticed obvious spurs, or obvious thick vs thin differentiation. one is slightly bigger and seems to have a bit more feathering in the hackles, beard area. they almost look wind-blown.

Back
Top Bottom