Russian Orloffs

Hi! We hatched three Orloffs from a local breeder two weeks ago. We love them so far, such friendly, inquisitive personalities.

New pictures of some of the girls. One of them went broody and is currently sitting on some eggs, the rest have all been turned out with the layer flock. To many broodies sitting on eggs already, I don't need to set anymore LOL If even half of them hatch that's 20+ new chicks and I'm mainly focused on just keeping my flock numbers steady, while playing around on a very small scale with a couple of breeding combinations.

Wet face and starting to molt, but she's still got something to say LOL

This is my current broody.

Question for those with white projects. I know a number of people on here are playing with developing a white Orloff, using spangled birds with excessive white, to try to eventually get birds that are solid white. Looking at the genetics behind that, wouldn't a better route to go be to introduce dominant or recessive white genes? I would think even once you get a solid white bird from these excessive white spangles, they wouldn't breed true, routinely throwing a pied looking bird in addition to the solid whites. And the first time you tried to bring in a spangled bird again, to improve type, size, whatever, you'd be back to having birds with a lot of color in them. Or am I missing something in the genetics?
Birds like my "sport" seem to pop up in this breed on a regular basis. Looking at the pattern of white/color, and asking about it on various forums, I believe it's a different set of genes than the excessive white spangles, which look like more of a pied pattern. The "sport" pattern looks more like what I would expect if the bird had one copy of a dominant white gene, although I have no idea where that would have come from since both his parents were spangled. Wouldn't birds like this have a better chance of creating a solid white Orloff that bred true, even when bringing in spangled birds down the line?

Some pictures of my "sport" when he was younger, I've posted them on this forum in the past.

Question for those with white projects. I know a number of people on here are playing with developing a white Orloff, using spangled birds with excessive white, to try to eventually get birds that are solid white. Looking at the genetics behind that, wouldn't a better route to go be to introduce dominant or recessive white genes? I would think even once you get a solid white bird from these excessive white spangles, they wouldn't breed true, routinely throwing a pied looking bird in addition to the solid whites. And the first time you tried to bring in a spangled bird again, to improve type, size, whatever, you'd be back to having birds with a lot of color in them. Or am I missing something in the genetics? Birds like my "sport" seem to pop up in this breed on a regular basis. Looking at the pattern of white/color, and asking about it on various forums, I believe it's a different set of genes than the excessive white spangles, which look like more of a pied pattern. The "sport" pattern looks more like what I would expect if the bird had one copy of a dominant white gene, although I have no idea where that would have come from since both his parents were spangled. Wouldn't birds like this have a better chance of creating a solid white Orloff that bred true, even when bringing in spangled birds down the line? Some pictures of my "sport" when he was younger, I've posted them on this forum in the past.
I'm interested in this question as well. We're just starting with Orloffs and chickens in general, although my husband had them growing up, so I know almost nothing about these subjects other than what I've read. I am a biologist though, and it would seem that trying to create a pure white strain in an already genetically limited breed would result in further inbreeding depression as well as the lack of consistent color mentioned by @malndobe. Not trying to step on any toes. As I said, I know nothing specifically about chicken genetics.

Question for those with white projects. I know a number of people on here are playing with developing a white Orloff, using spangled birds with excessive white, to try to eventually get birds that are solid white. Looking at the genetics behind that, wouldn't a better route to go be to introduce dominant or recessive white genes? I would think even once you get a solid white bird from these excessive white spangles, they wouldn't breed true, routinely throwing a pied looking bird in addition to the solid whites. And the first time you tried to bring in a spangled bird again, to improve type, size, whatever, you'd be back to having birds with a lot of color in them. Or am I missing something in the genetics?
Birds like my "sport" seem to pop up in this breed on a regular basis. Looking at the pattern of white/color, and asking about it on various forums, I believe it's a different set of genes than the excessive white spangles, which look like more of a pied pattern. The "sport" pattern looks more like what I would expect if the bird had one copy of a dominant white gene, although I have no idea where that would have come from since both his parents were spangled. Wouldn't birds like this have a better chance of creating a solid white Orloff that bred true, even when bringing in spangled birds down the line?

Some pictures of my "sport" when he was younger, I've posted them on this forum in the past.

This is a handsome fella.

If I can find a good trio of birds, I feel certain I could produce and set solid white birds within 5 years. I'm in the market for such a trio and will proceed to do so with dispatch.

I don't have the training or experience in chicken genetics required for the project but I do have a companion who does have the training and burning desire to help me get this done. It will happen, just a matter of getting the birds I need.

J.

Looking at the photos I posted, I actually think they are two different birds. I had a couple of these "sports", with various levels of white. And those last two photos I don't think are far enough apart in age for that big of a color variation. So probably 2 birds (I should have kept banding them). I know the bird in the last photo is gone, a predator took him. Here's an old photo with two of the sports a little bit older where you can see the difference in color.

A mature rooster. Have to check my records but I think he's a year and a half now, and has been through a few molts. Actually has started molting again, but he doesn't seem to be getting any whiter, I doubt he'll ever be solid white. The yellow tinge is from the mud, had some ducks in the pen for awhile, they are kind of messy :)

Hello everyone. I am new to Russian Orlofff. I have 25 now. I was wondering if anyone else out here have them. Mine are two months old. Born first of May. When do they start to lay? Is it the same as other breeds?

Hello everyone. I am new to Russian Orlofff. I have 25 now. I was wondering if anyone else out here have them. Mine are two months old. Born first of May. When do they start to lay? Is it the same as other breeds?
Hi Newton! There are several of us that raise Orloffs, but most people are on the Facebook page "Russian Orloff Society of USA and Canada". Come on over if you like.

I can't remember when my Orloffs started laying, wasn't too different than the other breeds I own, but later than breeds known to be "layers". They mature relatively slowly.

Where did you get your birds?

We have three that we hatched this spring. They are six weeks old. We are also new to Orloffs, and would love learn more from experienced owners.

Back
Top Bottom