Russian Orloffs

Pics
Quote:
Yah, after a while of reading and whatnot, I kinda figured he wasn't but did retain some of the qualities. If anything though it made me really get an interest in the breed in itself
smile.png

What? Why isn't he full blood? Because of the white-ish legs? You do know that the european standard calls for white legs, and the old US one called for yellow. I really think he's close to the standard and would not just write him off so quickly. If you get some nice hens....But then again- they're awfully hard to come by!

So anyway- my Orloff girl is finally laying. I think she's been teetering on broody for a couple weeks. She doesn't like you trying to take eggs if she's in the box, but she'll stay there 1/2 the day sometimes. I just seperated the Orloff pair, plus a black ameraucana pullet, from the flock yesterday. I'll start hatching in a few weeks and I'll be selling some chicks too. (hopefully!
fl.gif
) I don't want to risk shipping eggs as I only have the one hen- some of them would be on the older side by the time they got to ship, and you know how that goes! Pop!

Quote:
Yah, after a while of reading and whatnot, I kinda figured he wasn't but did retain some of the qualities. If anything though it made me really get an interest in the breed in itself
smile.png

What? Why isn't he full blood? Because of the white-ish legs? You do know that the european standard calls for white legs, and the old US one called for yellow. I really think he's close to the standard and would not just write him off so quickly. If you get some nice hens....But then again- they're awfully hard to come by!

So anyway- my Orloff girl is finally laying. I think she's been teetering on broody for a couple weeks. She doesn't like you trying to take eggs if she's in the box, but she'll stay there 1/2 the day sometimes. I just seperated the Orloff pair, plus a black ameraucana pullet, from the flock yesterday. I'll start hatching in a few weeks and I'll be selling some chicks too. (hopefully!
fl.gif
) I don't want to risk shipping eggs as I only have the one hen- some of them would be on the older side by the time they got to ship, and you know how that goes! Pop!

Hi HappyMtn,

Although the bid may be close to the old APA standard for the Russian (Russian Orloff) he would be a DQ when compared to the old APA standard for the Russian.
The standard for the Russian called for a Rose Comb and one of the DQ's for the Russian was combs other than rose.

The Walnut Comb was found on the Chlianskaia.
The Chlianskaia was the breed of fowl that was ship from Persia (Iran) to Russian where is was, "perfected" (they were bred more along utility lines and height was reduced and egg production was improved.) and later took the name Russian Orloff.

(Note - The Rose Comb on the Russian was with out Spike.)

Chris

Quote:
This is just my opinion,
If your going to breed per the old standard of the Russian (Russian Orloff) then you will have to breed in the rose comb but keep in mind that the Rose Comb on the Russian should be with out a spike.
Now if you are going to bred per the Chlianskaia you will have to add more size (cocks should be around 9 - 9 1/2 lbs) and more of the upright stance like a Malay.

Either way they should be heavy boned, hard muscled, meat fowl that resembles a Malay.

Chris

Mine are rather Malay looking- well, at least the roo is. They have yellow legs, but the comb I would guess is walnut. This is the first time I've ever seen anything like it on a non-silkie. I've never had a rose combed rooster before (but will this spring
smile.png
)

28521_100_0621.jpg

Quote:
I think your roo looked easily like a full-blooded Orloff. I've never had a rose-combed breed before to compare, but I've looked at pictures and your guy appears to have more of the desired walnut comb than the rose comb.

The emphasis should be on a SMALL comb, IMO. LOL. Maybe that's just because of where I live!

Anyway, he's a lovely bird. Amazing how much white they lose! He seems to have that definite Orloff "look" about his eye and carriage.

Just wanted to put it out there for all of you here on the Orloffs thread. I've finally culled all mine down except for 8 extra roos. 5 are some I ordered from Welp hatchery last spring and the other 3 are from a northern breeder who is no longer raising Orloffs. Neither line is perfect, but better than a lot of birds I've seen. All are a year old or less. I do have a third line, but no extras on those this year.

I want to get this breed going again. They are a great breed to work with. If anyone here on BYC wants one or more of these extra roosters I would like to offer them to you for free. I'm not posting in the auction thread as these few are all I have. No shipping, but if you are going to be through this area anytime soon, just PM me and I'll hold them for you. Otherwise they'll probably be processed within the next few weeks.

I'd love to see these get popular again.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Welp strain laid the first pullet egg at 24 weeks old. The Northern strain started a week later. They still are just laying here and there, not into full production yet, but I'm putting every single egg I get in the incubator. I set eggs every friday, have my first eggs pipping this morning.

I plan on hatching at least 100 from each strain this year, then cull down to around a dozen of the very best for next year. I'm still new to them, so it's interesting to see how they turn out.

I'll try and get some new pictures up in a couple of days, it's only like 20 degrees here today and I'm still getting over some health problems, so can't get out much. There are a few pictures of them at around 4 or 5 months old on my personal page.

Back
Top Bottom