Russian Orloffs

We have had about 20 or so different breeds and the Orloffs are the best foragers of any of them. The Orloffs, guineas and Muscovy ducks forage in any kind of weather. Hot, cold, rain..... they pretty much ignore it all. Yes, they do tend to forage in the shade on super hot days, but where we live that's not a problem. There are plenty of open pastures, overgrown fields, woods, swampy areas, sapling thickets.... They hit them all.

The other breeds like the Rhode Island Reds, Buffs, Doms, Yokahamas, Faverolles, hatchery production reds... all stay within 50 feet or so of the coop most days and tend to run in flocks.When I turn the Orloffs out they scatter in all directions. I've seen them as much as 100 yards from the coop and they might range further. (I can't see them if they go into the overgrown area behind the farm).

Orloffs are beautiful birds, great layers, broodies, foragers, protective mothers and easy to keep. If you are looking for show birds or wanting a breed that pops out little clones and grow out fast.... I'd go with another breed.

I'm culling almost all of mine due to health reasons, but they are one of my favorite breeds.

Thank you for all the information, you are so helpful! I appreciate it!

Does anyone know of any good Russian Orloff breeders?
Also, is there anyone in the southern or eastern US who may be willing to sell me some of their flock?

Does anyone know of any good Russian Orloff breeders?
Also, is there anyone in the southern or eastern US who may be willing to sell me some of their flock?
If you will list your location (At least a general area) you'll get many more responses. I'm in extreme northeast Mississippi, I know several in Alabama I've sold or given stock to and you can look at the locations listed under the poster's names in this thread. That'll give you a starting place.

I just this evening finished my next to last cull of the year.... so I've got several birds from around 4 months old up to 3 years old I'll sell from at least a couple of different bloodlines.

Thank you Mississippi. It was much clearer. I have only one cockerel here now, the one from Mr Casper. I have to cull or sell one of these really awful hens and then I will have 8 total. I told Mr C that I was really surprised by how small his were compared to mine. His juvies are easily half the size of my girls which means they grow really slow. They are clearly not an option for real meat birds if I want to be culling at 8 mos and get enough to feed the family more than soup. However, their color is great and the feet on all but one hen are very yellow. They are skittish and I have to remedy that because I don't like birds I can't handle and have be 'friendly.' I don't baby them or put collars on them or anything but they do have to come up to me willingly and be handled. So, work for me. Apparently these fly! I am going to cut their wings-- the first time I have had to do that to a bird here, just to keep them from hairing off as they are seemingly wont to do. So begins the efforts to raise Orloffs here.

How many folks here are interested in raising for the APA certification? I would like to get down and dirty on the list of things I need to do and how many birds I need personally to produce that meet standards in order to be helpful.

Thank you Mississippi. It was much clearer. I have only one cockerel here now, the one from Mr Casper. I have to cull or sell one of these really awful hens and then I will have 8 total. I told Mr C that I was really surprised by how small his were compared to mine. His juvies are easily half the size of my girls which means they grow really slow. They are clearly not an option for real meat birds if I want to be culling at 8 mos and get enough to feed the family more than soup. However, their color is great and the feet on all but one hen are very yellow. They are skittish and I have to remedy that because I don't like birds I can't handle and have be 'friendly.' I don't baby them or put collars on them or anything but they do have to come up to me willingly and be handled. So, work for me. Apparently these fly! I am going to cut their wings-- the first time I have had to do that to a bird here, just to keep them from hairing off as they are seemingly wont to do. So begins the efforts to raise Orloffs here.

How many folks here are interested in raising for the APA certification? I would like to get down and dirty on the list of things I need to do and how many birds I need personally to produce that meet standards in order to be helpful.
I agree, they are not great meat birds (at least none of mine are) but they lay like crazy! I don't clip the wings on mine because they pretty much free range anyway, but if I was keeping them in a small pen I would have to.
You really don't have to hatch hundreds of birds if you start with good stock. I hatch so many because I started with such a crazy mix I had to cross strains, keep the strains pure for a couple of years, just my way of working with what I could find. If I could have found a near perfect trio I wouldn't hatch so many, but mine are a work in progress.
I've got some serious health problems right now and just finished sorting out what I'm keeping to work with. It's sad, but I have two Erhard strain, two Roberts strain and four of my own strain in the breeding pen for spring. Only 8 birds I'm keeping. The past few years I have had as many as 45 grown birds.... Going to have to cut back though.

Maybe if these imports I keep hearing about come through I'll try them. I tried hard to make myself just sell out of the Orloffs... but I just can't do it. I love the breed too much. Looks like I'll just be more of a hobby breeder now though.

That would be great! Do you ship birds?

No, I've never shipped started birds or chicks. Pick up here at the farm only. We did get our NPIP certification, so I can ship eggs and chicks, but at this time I just am not able to deal with shipping. Sorry.

Quote: Unless you live in Tennessee or Kentucky, that is probably not an option. But thank you so much for all your help!
If you ever do start shipping chicks, I would really appreciate it if you would tell me.

Wow Terry, Sorry to hear that. I really hope your health takes a good turn. I guess the positive is you are still able to work with things that bring you enjoyment. I wish I could speed up the import process and get a few to you, but I'm afraid that it's just gonna have to wait until May. The good news on that is the steps are falling into place. Also know that if things get bad and you do need to get rid of the Orloffs, there will be some available for you when you feel better. I'm not quite as far as you with the development of my own strain, but I do have and plan to have good strains to move forward with and you are more than welcome to whatever you want whenever you want it.

I am planning to have a talk with Walt about what we need to do specifically and hopefully set up some kind of timetable that we could use. I know that one issue that has been steadily against us is the lack of a single forum where we can discuss the breed and organize those who have/breed/show the Orloffs. Hopefully this can be remedied soon. I don't know. I'll definitely be in touch about it.

Take care all,
Ivy

Wow Terry, Sorry to hear that. I really hope your health takes a good turn. I guess the positive is you are still able to work with things that bring you enjoyment. I wish I could speed up the import process and get a few to you, but I'm afraid that it's just gonna have to wait until May. The good news on that is the steps are falling into place. Also know that if things get bad and you do need to get rid of the Orloffs, there will be some available for you when you feel better. I'm not quite as far as you with the development of my own strain, but I do have and plan to have good strains to move forward with and you are more than welcome to whatever you want whenever you want it.

Take care all,
Ivy
Thanks Ivy, that's very sweet of you and I appreciate it. I'll just have to see how things work out here health-wise.

I changed my mind on a couple I was getting rid of though. After I got everything culled I sat and watched the cull pen for a few hours and wound up pulling a couple of hens back out and putting back in the breeding pen. So as of right now I have two young cockerels and ten pullets and hens from around 5 months old up to about 5 years old I'll keep through the winter. A couple have that danged light color I am trying so hard to get away from and one has legs that are too light in color, but oh well. It was just breaking my heart to see them all go and right now they mean more to me as therapy than the cost of feeding them.
Right now there are I think 35 in the cull pen and a few young chicks too small to stay in the pen wire that are free ranging. All these will be sold or butchered in the next week or so. I'll have 12 I'll keep.
If I get to feeling better in a bit I might try and get some pictures so people can see the things I personally cull for.

Well, honestly, I have learned a lot reading your posts over the last few years and I would love to actually be able to give something in return. We'll see what the future holds and just keep it going. I would love to see pics of what you cull for or keep, but definitely feel better first. I may also be looking at something I would term a "light color" it's more of a light rust than a dark mahogany and I am really hoping to be able to breed away from it, seems to be more in one Erhard hen than any of the others. I was hoping she would molt out of it and not pass it on. We'll see what happens. I know one thing for sure. It's about 10 hrs from where I am to where you are and I have the little lady's okay to make a nice vacation road trip next spring as long as I let her pick the late summer/fall spot.
thumbsup.gif

I might also have to stop around Decatur/Huntsville at a Oriental breeder I know. lol. It'll be National Lampoons Chicken Vacation.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Ok, it's too hot and I'm too weak to chase the darn things, but here are some pictures and notes on each from this evening. Now keep in mind that all our birds here are in molt, so all of them look raggedy, haven't regrown beards or muffs... stuff like that. First the culls;

Hen about a year old, our strain, has the "rust" coloring instead of the mahogany I breed for. Poor spangling and poor tail carriage.

Three year old hen, slightly incorrect comb, but overall a pretty nice bird. Muff and beard not grown back from the molt. Has a humped back.

Another young pullet with that stupid rust coloration going on. Great type though.

Rust again, incorrect tail angle and poor spangling. Too much positive white in the plumage.

This is one that'll make you cuss. She'll molt out near perfect but a dang single blade sticking up out of an otherwise nice comb.

As for the males... can anyone say "crock pot"? Just horrible. "Shudder". If I had very many turn out like this mutt I'd just quit.

Pretty fair cockerel here. He should molt out nice, but I don't like his carriage.

Now everyone breeds for different things, Right now my goal is size, shape, carriage and trying to stay at least close on leg color and comb type. I haven't tried a lot yet on the spangling, wing set, egg color or such. I'm really trying to "build the barn before I paint it".
I just thought it might be interesting to a few people who are thinking of Orloffs to see the worst birds for a change instead of the good birds we all love to post.

Of course I AM going to post some of my better birds too.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom