Rv-ing With That Chick

RvChick

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2019
0424191448.jpg 0419191130.jpg Hello All!
Charli here, Mama to one beautiful almost 4 year old girl, a jackrabbit dog and one feisty chicken.

We rv full time and homeschool, for 3 years this month in a 35' Winnebago. Our menagerie (the rv, service truck, my truck & a cargo trailer) rolls into a new town looking kind of crazy but now we roll out the chicken coop and confirm redneck status

My family had chickens when I was a kid in small town Walkerton, IN. But I do not remember anything other than fetching eggs. My husband had chickens growing up in Nevada and only remembers fighting off the rooster every day

Our daughter received our chick at a cake walk (ha or so I thought!) at a local nursing home. I was horrified that they were giving away live animals as prizes and fell in love immediately.

After much determination, our chick is called Princess Penelope Peach. And we have zero clue whether it is a He or She or even what breed.

Backyard Chickens was discovered while trying to look up whether her orange poop was normal....

Day 1. She was cold, hungry and kind of sad. Day 5 and she is talkative, nosy, and feathering out rather quickly.
We bought a wire 36x42 dog crate with a sliding tray. Zip tied vinyl chicken fence around the sides and top. Then stationed it above ground on concrete blocks. Filled with pine shavings, a waterer, a feeder and a heat lamp.
At night, we cover it with a heavy blanket, leaving a little hole to allow air and the heat lamp cord out.

Last night it began raining heavily and continues now, with flash flooding and unusually cold temperatures for Texas in April. So, Penelope is in our shower in a smaller dog crate, a baby gate and a heater.
Pictures are Day 1 and Day 5.

Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

I follow a couple of families that live like you on Instagram. Do you do IG?
I would love to see your set up.

Chick is too young to tell gender right now. Have you thought about getting it at least one friend?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<

BYC has an APP!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

I follow a couple of families that live like you on Instagram. Do you do IG?
I would live to see your set up.

Chick is too young to tell gender right now. Have you thought about getting it at least one friend?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<

BYC has an APP!

Hey! We don't do IG. Or much social media but I wanted to ask questions of chicken oriented experienced type people lol

That is just one of my million of questions...does Penelope need a friend to be healthy? Or can she have a happy life with us, as solo chicken?
My dog loves her...if that counts as friendship lol

Oh and if she needs chicken companions, where should I get them? Because the Tractor Supply chicks look alot younger/smaller than her.

Welcome to BYC :frow I agree with Kiki, get her a little friend as soon as you can. Chickens are very social creatures and though a solo chicken can do well, they much prefer company of their own species too.

Back
Top Bottom