?s for blind peahen

Cochintrice

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2021
There is a chance I may be adopting a blind peahen soon. Her family is discussing if they want to actually part with her or not. Being only able to see shadows she's definitely a special needs bird who will require special care. I have cared for a blind bird in the past (specifically an epileptic chicken) so I have some basics down that will carry over. I have some questions I'm having trouble finding answers for though!

-Do typical peafowl meds for coccidiosis cause lasting organ damage to look out for later? She received aggressive treatment when very young (early brooder days.)

-If you have a blind peafowl have you come across anything that's very helpful (especially for enrichment) that you would recommend?

-How long do they actually live with optimal care? I have seen a baffling range of over 15 years to over 50 and I'm stumped. 🤔

-Is grinding down or trimming their claws possible or is the quick entirely too close to the exterior?

-On a scale of "chicken hen talking with her newborns" to "hornball peacock with something to prove" where would you put a peahen's volume? I am told she mostly only vocalizes when startled or when everyone else around her is hootin' n hollerin' too. Dunno if that is average or because she's blind.

If she does come to live with us I wanna do my best for her! So thanks in advance for helping, I really do appreciate it.

My half-blind chicken (I know, not a peahen but maybe helpful) did best when I kept her in a small flock with her white hatch mate. I think she could see her better than the others and would know from her behavior where the food was etc. I got rid of the white bird (long story, not good in hindsight) and after that had to keep her food and water in the same place. Change was not good for her at all. I would be more inclined not to adopt her for the simple reason that the change will be very unsettling for her and might cause her health to deteriorate in a way a normal bird would not be at risk of. But my two cents might not be worth that lol. Good luck whatever you decide to do-it sounds like you would do your best for her and that is wonderful.

My half-blind chicken (I know, not a peahen but maybe helpful) did best when I kept her in a small flock with her white hatch mate. I think she could see her better than the others and would know from her behavior where the food was etc. I got rid of the white bird (long story, not good in hindsight) and after that had to keep her food and water in the same place. Change was not good for her at all. I would be more inclined not to adopt her for the simple reason that the change will be very unsettling for her and might cause her health to deteriorate in a way a normal bird would not be at risk of. But my two cents might not be worth that lol. Good luck whatever you decide to do-it sounds like you would do your best for her and that is wonderful.
I'm sorry your chicken didn't do well D: I understand your concerns! My blind chicken was originally sighted and very much loved the flock, but after about two weeks indoors you'd never guess he'd lived years outside. I had to start him in a small area and expand his space bit by bit, keeping his food and water in the same place against the wall. running a fan on that side also gave him a sound and tactile sensation to follow. Once he memorized the corner and height to expect food in he did well! I don't imagine he would've done well in too large a space though. Granted, he was a serama, those little dudes could get lost in a cardboard box.

It will certainly be unsettling for her and I imagine the first two or three weeks in quarantine will be the worst. I expect she'd be scared and call a lot. Other birds on the property would try to attack her through the fencing to the extent an opaque one needed to be put up, so it will take some gentle work to let her know she's safe from that. Luckily I'm home 24/7 so she won't ever be alone. It also means I'll have plenty of time to sound train her toward her food and water, and monitor her intake.

It sounds like culling is on the table for her now since they told me they'd hate to do it. I'd rather give her a chance at adjusting instead of that! But I will keep her quality of life in mind. A long but miserable life isn't better than a short comfortable one.

If you want a special needs pea I have a couple of Spalding cocks who got frost bit if you want them. One will lose both feet and the other one foot. I have a couple of hens from about four years ago that also lost feet so I have enough special needs birds. I live in Marion Ks so if you are close enough to come get them you can have them for free.

The pic below is what they look like.
IMG_7455.JPG

If you want a special needs pea I have a couple of Spalding cocks who got frost bit if you want them. One will lose both feet and the other one foot. I have a couple of hens from about four years ago that also lost feet so I have enough special needs birds. I live in Marion Ks so if you are close enough to come get them you can have them for free.

The pic below is what they look like.View attachment 3395961
Oh no! That's terrible to hear D: I unfortunately am not able to take them, as my spouse is 100% against me having a male and I think I am too far. Losing feet is pretty severe though! I hatr having to turn any bird away.

You know, I am a 3D modeler, and I own a good 3D printer. When they have healed stumps I could probably help print them new feet with some measurements and ingenuity. It would be especially easy if they have noticeable spurs. If you do rehome them let the person who takes them know and I can give them my email. I've never done anything like it but I've heard of similar being done.

Oh no! That's terrible to hear D: I unfortunately am not able to take them, as my spouse is 100% against me having a male and I think I am too far. Losing feet is pretty severe though! I hatr having to turn any bird away.

You know, I am a 3D modeler, and I own a good 3D printer. When they have healed stumps I could probably help print them new feet with some measurements and ingenuity. It would be especially easy if they have noticeable spurs. If you do rehome them let the person who takes them know and I can give them my email. I've never done anything like it but I've heard of similar being done.
I tried to make a peg leg for my hen with one foot and failed, I just could not make it stay on. I think a good fitting apparatus and denture cream might work. Here are some pics from 2018 before the stumps totally healed, there is not a lot of area to adhere to.
IMG_4669 (1).JPG
IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

Skippy has the one leg and flutters to get around and Peggy has no feet and seems to do a bit better than Skippy. They both live in a heated coop with loose sand flooring and do well with their guy and a couple of their offspring. Stiltz, even with only one toe on one foot and three stubs on the other was my best producer in 2020.
IMG_4669 (1).JPG
IMG_4671.JPG
IMG_4672.JPG
IMG_3895.JPG
IMG_3901.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_9658.JPG

Back
Top Bottom