1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

S J Turner Chicken history , project goals, and Pet chicken progress.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sjturner79, Aug 3, 2015.

1. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    So now I have 15 12 day old chicks that i need to find out what they are to see if they are good for my breeding program or for the meat birds at the farm

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wondering why you want to preserve the "walnut comb," What purpose does it serve? I have always felt it ruined the whole look of a beautiful silkie.

3. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    I just prefer the look of the purple walnut comb. I am also not a huge fan of the correct silkie comb, but the ones i have got have nearly straight combs and I just don't like it.
    Silkie Comb
    [​IMG]

True Walnut
    [​IMG]

this one looks a bit my my current silkie comb - but different color
    [​IMG]

4. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Some more pics of the 15 Bubs. about 2 weeks, and outgrowing the brooder. i think im going to have to startstepping up intrgartion with the main flock, and improve the outdoor brooder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    The Chicks got there first free range experience yesterday and it all went fine.
    I Will try and candle the eggs under shadows tonight to see if there some that are not sowing good development yet as she has too many and i don't know which ones are newer.

6. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Well Shadow is back to around a doze eggs and doing a much better job of covering them. There a 7 in the next box that streaks is still thinking about hatching but she only sits for 8 hours then gets up for 14.

The Chicks spent some time saying hello to the biggers.
    Red doesn't like them much but the others didn't care.
    Also Blackbeard trying to work out how to get past the chickens without being attacked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    OK, Coop Extension complete. Water system stand turned into brood for the 2 week old's.

Kasey has decided that she is going to brood. only spent 2 hours out in last 2 days.
    Streak is still on and off- she not laying but only sits on the nest for about 6 hours with one of the others and then is back with the roos.

I should start seeing baby chicks under shadows around the 27Th of august and Kasey around the 10Th Sept if she doesn't give up when the shadows batch hatches.

The 15 little Chicks are now Outside in their new home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks a bit hodge podge as the only new materiel's were the screws and the chicken wire divider in the middle. couldn't afford to buy anything else.
    Thinking about cutting the extra bit of tin off, but might just leave it , as the coop will be pulled about and re-built sometime around Christmas.
    Hopefully we will have some money to get some new bit for it.
    Its built so the big chook's cant get to the little side, but the little's can go through the bottom of the door to get to the big's

8. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Well they little ones seem to be starting to not be completely running away from the bigguns, but there still running as seperate groups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Shadows first bub is finally out of its egg !
    [​IMG]

10. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]