S.O.S

CarnyCat

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2014
In the woods of Ga
My

sweet young Bourbon Red is starting to get angry. He is maturing and almost a year old. He has four young hens and has started acting aggressively to me even when I am bringing treats. Any ideas as to how I can make him nice again or is this normal behavior?

One member reported good luck waiting until their tom approached and then popping open an umbrella in his face. Another tactic is to put a spray head on a hose and every time he approaches - let him have the concentrated stream right on the snood. Failing that use a good quality broom and push him away when he approaches. Also, when he backs off - follow him until he moves away smartly, then turn and walk away (with one eye on the tom) as soon as he turns and makes a move toward you (repeat). Consistently make him back off when you enter run, he'll catch on or be eaten, I 'd guess.

Some members have problems with hand raised (human imprinted) toms. We've had both hand raised and hen raised toms for going on a decade and just haven't had so much as a challenge trill directed at us; we don't lack in "friendliness" with the flock, we're just extremely consistent about never not walking right over to them and picking them up - separating sparring toms, etc. I guess they recognize who owns the flock.

Don't turn your back on him if you're not prepared to turn right around and back him off.

Last edited:
Fantastic,Thank you so much for the expert advice. He is truly a great bird and I will try one if not all your suggestions until he tolerates me again. He will not end up on the table though as he has a name-Hortnick Thanks again Cat
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom