Tom tripping over his own feet

Mama Farley

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
My Tom is about 5 years old. He’s a bourbon. He can stand but if he takes a step, he starts flapping his wings for balance. His legs and feet look fine. Mechanically, when he does walk, he steps on his own feet and loses his balance. Any ideas on what is going on??? And what to do for him?

he eats chicken scratch, goat and sheep pellets and layer crumble. He was in our goat pasture but I’ve moved him to our backyard with his instability.
We throw feed on the ground in the evening. We’ve got some free range Guinea fowl that Run around our backyard too.

he eats chicken scratch, goat and sheep pellets and layer crumble. He was in our goat pasture but I’ve moved him to our backyard with his instability.
We throw feed on the ground in the evening. We’ve got some free range Guinea fowl that Run around our backyard too.
That feed regimen is is no way appropriate for a turkey let alone a tom. The layer feed has far too much calcium and can cause damage to the kidneys over time.

Chicken scratch is a low protein, high fat feed. The goat and sheep feed are unlikely to have the needed amounts of lysine, methionine and niacin as well as thiamine.

I recommend putting him on a quality all flock feed which will have the nutrients that he needs and the lower percentage calcium that is appropriate. The all flock feed will do your guineas good too..

Thank you!
It’s hot here in Texas. I checked on him earlier and he was relaxing in the pool.
I will make a run to the feed store.
Do you think it’s his diet?

Attachments

• B522DD7E-E440-498A-BDF9-35D630FC2262.jpeg
    B522DD7E-E440-498A-BDF9-35D630FC2262.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 3
I moved the pool that day with him in it. He didn’t seem to mind. After a few hours, I picked him up and moved him out of the pool. I could hear crunching noises in his back. I had already changed his food. He is still in the backyard, eating and drinking. He moves from one spot to another periodically. He can stand up but just can’t walk far. I hate it. My turkeys are a little over 5 years old. I love them so much. They are pets. They even follow us when we call them. It’s just him and a hen.

Back
Top Bottom