?s

frankyd

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 17, 2008
looking to start raising chickens and have a few ?s.
whats the hen to nest raito?
do they need a light in there coop?
do i need a roo?
any advise would be much appricated

I think the recommended hen/nest ration is 3 per nest. I made mine that way and it's given them lots of room to roost and poo on/in nests, while they all just pile into two boxes to lay. Never expect gratitude from a chicken.
They don't need a light in their coop, though some folks provide one. I had a light in mine since their night vision isn't good. I removed it recently, since it can tax the hens by making them lay when they should be slowing down (i.e. wintertime). I do have an infrared heat lamp for very cold nights.
You don't need a roo, but I recommend having one anyway. They can really be a hoot to have around. I love hearing mine crow. They also provide important services like egg fertilization (just in case you want babies, and we know you want babies) and protection from predators. That being said, some also try to protect their ladies from the ugly, featherless roosters who bring the food. Try Rooster-Red's page if you need to know how to take a roo down a notch.

HI and Welcome,

I am sure there are plenty of people here will give you definate answers on these questions, I am still quite a newby here, but I have my first 4 chickens, I have 2 nesting places, and they take it in turns to go in them and make nest spaces, but they are not laying yet.

I do not have a light in the coup, and it has not been necessary as yet, they do get early sun if we have any, and I use a torch if I have to go out there in the dark just to check on them.

They roost now which took some time, but they have finally given up on their milk crate that was their preferred bed, and now sit side by side on the roost....lol.. but they are youngsters so I have let them find their feet so to speak.

But they are amazing fun and lovely friendly birds, so I am happy, Hope you enjoy the communiy here, and find your answers.

Welcome again,

Jena.

Great questions, in fact some are answered in our FAQ and all the rest are definitely available if you search the forum.

We usually suggest that members search the forum for threads that already exist on the topics and then post questions in those threads.

Example: If you want to learn more about adding light to a coop:

First search the forum:

Q: How do I search the BYC Site and forum? (VERY Important for new members!)
A: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47494

Here
are the search results for "adding light "

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom