1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. cindys6436

cindys6436 New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    So, it seems that I am right about that crazy $4500 permit, from reading this. I honestly find it hard to believe than anyone has ever actually paid that. If no one complains, can't imagine anyone coming out to check if you have chickens and if you've paid the fee - but if their were complaints, I think they could make you get rid of your chickens if you didn't have the permit. I know that happens, but I don't know that it has ever happened in this area.

For some reason I thought that chickens were allowed in Fair Oaks - I mean, the place is covered with them - and that there might be some specific town code. I don't know why I thought it might be different, guess it's all covered under Sacramento County.

I hope to have a couple hens soon (just trying to get living quarters for them figured out), but I don't plan on applying for any permit, especially when it's as ridiculous as $4500.

If no one has complained about your chickens, I wouldn't even bother calling and asking about the permit, unless you wanted to do it anonymously just to see exactly what they say.

Cindy
    p.s. I'm generally a by-the-rules kind of person and if the codes flat out prohibited chickens, I wouldn't even consider getting them (although I'd be all for changing the code) - but I just find a $4500 permit application fee to be way off the hook.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i would think that if the use permit was a serious thing, Code Enforcement would have mentioned it when i spoke to them. They were very clear that, based on our acreage, we could have as many chickens, roosters, ducks, or any other type of fowl we want. We can also have any farm animal which does not exceed 75 pounds at adult weight - hence, we have three Nigerian Dwarf Goats. [​IMG]

i don't think Fair Oaks has any special provisions. It's just known for having the free roaming chickens in old town.

Now, from my observation, it seems that Orangevale has larger properties than Fair Oaks. It's only a couple blocks from our house, but most houses look like they sit on an acre or more.

3. cindys6436

cindys6436 New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    Some areas of Orangevale are like that (large properties), but many are not. I had a house on an acre, on which I had horses, goats, chickens and a couple guineas (as well as birds, cats, and dogs) I might have been over the limit on horses (2 full size and 1 mini). It didn't occur to me to even question chickens - I had 25. The people across the street had chickens, the people next door had horses, and there was also a horse barn across the street. Where I am now, it's a more conventional neighborhood - no chickens that I know of, or any other type of farm animals. But I don't think I'd get any complaints about 2-3 banty hens, and I do have just barely over 10,000 square feet.

I'd give anything to have property where I could have goats again as well.

Cindy

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, technically, if you have at least 10,000 sf you could have goats, as long as they don't exceed 75 pounds at adult weight. We love our Nigerian Dwarfs.

5. cindys6436

cindys6436 New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    I suppose I could, but I don't want to push my luck. I already have two dogs, three rabbits and nine mice. My biggest concern about getting chickens at this point is not the neighbors complaining about the chickens but rather my Pug barking at them nonstop and the neighbors complaining (rightly so) about that. I'm going to have quite a job teaching the Pug she can't bark at the chickens.

I had Pygoras when I had goats - one of my does had triplets and I was right there when they were born. Cutest things on earth. For now, though, I'm just hoping to have a couple chickens soon.

Cindy

6. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Anyone live in the Arden Park area?
    PM me if you do.

7. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I live in the Cit of Roseville. The city recently changed their rules regarding poultry and a special permit is only $24 to keep chickens closer than 20' to the property line. It was a long 12 month battle, but the city came through. I love my chickens. I have about 7,500 sq ft.

8. sactowngary

sactowngary New Egg

Oct 6, 2010
    I just stumbled across this site as I was looking into the legality of my backyard flock. I live in OV, however, I live in a residential neighborhood. I know some older neighborhoods (with larger lots) in orangevale allow backyard poultry, however, I remember seeing in the CC & R's when I purchased my house, poultry is prohibited. There is no active homeowner's association that I know of in my neighborhood that would enforce the CC & R's.

I am on a .23 acre lot which gives enough land per the county code.

I raised chickens when I was a kid living in the Placerville area, and I'm glad to have a small (6 birds) flock in a coup I've built in the backyard this past Spring. My hens are beginning to start laying, and my family loves our productive pets.

I would like to see Sacramento County revise their ordinance for the unincorporated areas of the county. The city of Sacramento is in the news this week as Sacramento City Council's law committee considered Tuesday as it looks to revise a city code that bars people from keeping chickens at their homes. They will be looking at this issue again this November.

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:That would really depend on the shape / layout of your lot. If most of the lot was front yard, then it would be more difficult to have chickens or other animals on a lot that size. However, if the front yard is shallow then it would be no problem at all.

The size of the house also plays a role. If the house has a large footprint on a quarter acre lot then it leaves less yard. A small house, though, leaves more space. There's a huge difference between a 1000 square foot house and a 2500 square foot sprawling ranch house in terms of how much of the lot is leftover to use for other things.

10. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I am in Rancho , have had chickens since moving here before we became a city. I have had to call sac animal control a few times because a neighbor behind us- now moved!- had kept a puppy on a leash in 100 degree heat with no water.. so they came out ..in my back yard...to look over my fence to see the pups predicament.. saw i had chickens and bees.....warned the owners of the pup and told me if any probs call back....I had to call them back 3 times in one week. They smiled at me when they saw the chicks and never said a word!

Forward 3 years later... ...we are now our own city......went into our local animal control office to register our dogs. Told them I also had chickens... Needed to grandfather me in since Sac county did not care I had my girls.....Also had a dietary need for the eggs....store eggs natural or not make me sick!...... Told them I could get a doctors not if needed..........Their response was we will have to talk to our lawyers and get back to you.....
    Forward another 3 years later....... still not a word. I was told by Sac County officers early on that...if we get no complaints we dont care! So get them - take care of them.. and go on living a destressed life thanks to your girls.

I was asked if I had a roo and at that time I was unaware that I had roo chicks. I kept one .....called him scooter, he slept indoors, crowed all he wanted in the morning, then went out doors for the day! He learned quickly to come inside or peck at the back door to alert me that he needed to come in to crow! I have had since him a few other roos. I have trained all to do my bidding when iot comes to crowing. All my boys were silkies since they are easy to train. I always picked a boy that was a sucker for my love and started training early!! Good luck!

OH and yes parts of Carmichael and Fair oaks have been a long time home for feral chickens. My vet in Fair Oaks takes care of towne chickens as needed. I have been asked to raise babies found by people & when old enouigh I place them back into the towne square. My vet has helped me many times with my babes. I sing high praises for Dr Phillips who cares for birds and the other vets and staff at Old Towne Vet Hospital! Loving people and great care of my girls , cats and pups!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by