Sacramento County

You trained a rooster to peck at the door when he had to come in and crow? Oh my goodness, that is incredible. i'm sure there are many clandestine rooster owners who would love you to train their guys.
smile.png

i had animal control come out after a neighbor called them and said i had "a lot of animals". i think i know which neighbor it was. They just checked to see that i had proper housing, food, and water then dismissed the complaint as "unfounded". The officer told me she had chickens, too.

As long as you are not a nusience-sp, no neighbors are complaining then you wont have a problem! Care and love your babes
feed neighbors with xtra eggs. For those who want to know how I trained my roos, I posted in managing your flock. Didnt want to keep pming others.

never heard of a permit.

Last edited:
http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/acr/Pages/ChickensandRoostersinSacramentoCounty.aspx
If you have 10,000 sqft you can keep chickens
If not:
"Single family homes under 10,000 square feet may apply for a "conditional use permit" to keep chickens or roosters as a hobby for personal use or food; however use permit application costs generally exceed $6,500 per address and applications are not guaranteed to be approved. A renter may apply for the permit, but the property owner must also give permission in writing."

That is just ridiculous! I was just looking at that as well online and thought the $6,500 permit must be a typo. I live in Citrus Heights and my lot is 8,300 sqft but the back yard is huge because we live in a cul-de-sac. My wife and I would like to add some more organic food into our diet and 3 hens would not only give us better eggs than we are buying now, but it would also give us fertilizer for our vegetable garden. I am tempted to just to get the chickens anyway, but my neighbors have called the county on me twice already in the last 5 years, once for a barking dog that belonged to a relative visiting on Christmas, and once for construction material blocking the sidewalk when my house was being renovated, so I would be taking on some risk...
Is it better to ask permission or forgiveness? Because every bone in my body says screw the government, it's my land. You want chickens, then get some. Times are tough, economy sucks, news is predicting food shortages, food banks are already depleted, and even the first lady has an organic vetgitable garden at the white house, but Sacramento County wants $6,500 to think about you having 3 hens?

Hi there,
I am looking for a place to have my meat chickens processed. Does anyone have any information on where I can get this done?
I am in the Sacramento/foothills area.
Thank you in advance for any information.

I am in the Arden Arcade area. I found this link about a $10 registration fee per year per chicken and $15 annual permit fee. Has anyone got chickens in my area who can give me input on this? How do you get the permit?

Fair Oaks Village has a special exemption that protects the feral domestic fowl. The exemption was put into place after someone moved to the village area because of how wonderful and country like this town is with the chickens roaming about and then discovered Roosters crow, this individual then contacted animal control and attempted to force them and the county to round up the feral chickens/roos, ducks and other feathered critters. This individual had a few friends and money and thought they could bully all of the long term residents, buisness owners and such, they failed and the long time residents won. The loose birds are protected only in Fair Oaks, and I am unsure if it covers all of Fair Oaks or just the Village Area though.

I have found no reliable info though that the county rules do not apply to residents of Fair Oaks.

A while back I e-mailed my county supervisor - Susan Peters - about changing the county regulations to match the city's regulations. This was shortly after the city passed its regulation. Her response said that roosters make a lot of noise, and some people have peacocks and they also make a lot of noise [how the peacocks got involved I'll never know].

For me, this clearly shows what we are up against in the county. There was complete ignorance about the city's regualtions, and understanding that, yes, hens are different than roosters and hens do not crow.

I think that one strategy might be to start with informing them about the number of cities in California that allow backyard chickens [there is a list available on-line, then pushing it in the media. Since there has been a lot of press about the "farm to fork" movement, this could prove a way to push the issue.

Back
Top Bottom