Sacramento County

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by gorgeousarmageddon, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:Hi Cindy,

An easy way is to go to www.zillow.com and enter your home address. After clicking on your house, you can view home info which should include the square footage of your lot.

2. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I am in Rancho cordova and I have them. Had them before we became a city of our own and had animal control in my yard a few times due too a rear neighbor's mistreatment of a puppy. They never said a word to me.

When we became a city I told them i had them and to grandfather me in. Told them I also had a doc's note stating a need for them.
    They said they would have to talk to their lawyers......that was over 2 years ago.
    I say go ahead get some, con your neighbors with fresh eggs if need be. As long as you dont have a rooster you should be alright.
    If you do want A ROO you must teach him to come indoors to crow. A silky roo is the easiest to train. Mine knows to wait till I close the door then he can let loose. I have a 90-95% success rate with "bobby". There has been mamy times that he has crowed just to get inside and see what mom is up to.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  3. cindys6436

cindys6436 New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    I thought I posted a reply but don't see it so maybe I didn't - thank you Colleen!

Silky Ma, I won't be getting a rooster. They don't bother me any - I had 25 chickens when I had more property - on of my silkies crowed at 3 a.m. every day! No chickens inside for me either, except if a medical need arises - my dogs would make short work of them!

Cindy

4. roosters16

roosters16 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Sacramento
    do any of u have seramas or showgirls for sale?

5. Chickensplease

Chickensplease Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2009
    I only have about 7500 sqft and live in Orangevale also and I would love to have some chickens for pets and eggs. Has there been any laws passed as yet for people like myself that a little short in property. The homes around me are on an acre or more.

6. cindys6436

cindys6436 New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    Chickensplease,

Do any of the neighbors have chickens? Yours would be less noticeable and probably no one would say anything if there are other chickens around. As it is, even if you have the required square footage, if you want chickens you are supposed to apply for a permit at $4000 with no guarantee the permit will be granted. I highly doubt many people are complying with that outrageous nonsense.

Cindy

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i spoke with Animal Control, Code Enforcement, and Zoning before we moved here to Fair Oaks. No one mentioned a $4,000 permit.

8. cindys6436

cindys6436 New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    I think that's because Fair Oaks has it's own code and Orangevale does not. I'm not sure about that. Orangevale is unincorporated and under Sacramento County rules, I believe. I'm pretty sure the Fair Oaks codes are different. It took me forever to figure out what the law was in Orangevale, and I can't remember how I found them (I'm terrible at trying to find that stuff). I finally found out that you have to have 10,000 sq. ft. and that you have to apply for the permit ($4000). I can't guarantee that that hasn't changed, but it was recently that I was looking. Is there a square foot limitation in Fair Oaks? I really do believe the rules are different for Fair Oaks and Orangevale.

Cindy

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i don't *think* the rules are different. But here are some sites and info:

This is Code Enforcement:
    http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/dns/codeEnforcement/Pages/faqAlpha.aspx?q=11

Scroll through the questions and you will find several about chickens, most specifically:

Question: Are chickens allowed on my property?
    Answer: Chickens for personal use are allowed on parcels greater than 10,000 square feet in the Agricultural, Urban Reserve, Industrial Reserve, Agricultural-Residential, and RD1-7 zones.

The Animal Care and Regulation site mentions that permit, but no one told me about it when i called before we moved here. Here is the site and information:

http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/acr/Pages/AnimalInformation.aspx?c=Avian Information&t=9

. . . and, from their site:

"Chickens and Roosters in Sacramento County

Zoning ordinances determine if you can keep chickens or roosters on your property.

What is a Zoning ordinance?

Counties adopt zoning ordinance (rules) to designate how land can be used. Zoning ordinances are designed to protect property owner rights and private property values by ensuring standards for public health, safety and welfare are in place. For many property owners, zoning's primary benefit is ensuring that potentially harmful, incompatible uses of neighboring properties will not threaten the value of their properties and their legitimate uses.

Can I keep chickens or roosters at my residence for personal use or consumption?

Your property lots must meet the minimum 10,000 square feet requirement to keep chickens and/or roosters.

Duplexes and half-plexes may not keep chickens and/or roosters under any circumstances. Single family homes may apply for a "conditional use permit" to keep chickens or roosters as a hobby for personal use or food; however the application cost is about $4,500 per address and does not guarantee the application will be approved. A renter may apply for the permit, but the property owner must also give permission in writing.

Why chickens and/or roosters are considered a problem?

Chickens and/or roosters can disturb the peace and quiet of a neighborhood and strain relationships with neighbors. They can cause noise, odors, and attract flies and other nuisance insects. They make it difficult for neighbors to spend time in their yards, noise can disturb their sleep, odors force people to keep windows closed, and interferes with the enjoyment of their homes.

If you have any questions regarding the "conditional use permit" and county zoning codes, please contact the Planning Department Public Information office at (916) 874-6221 or email at [email protected]."

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i know a lot of folks who keep chickens around here and no one has ever mentioned the conditional use permit. i'm a little afraid to call the number and ask about it. i can't imagine it could be enforced on folks who already have chickens. At least, i hope not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by