Sad, bad new outta North Pole...**Warning**Graphic description...

BigDaddysMom

I am so very sorry to hear this. Living alone I would be devastated could not even imagine the amount of fear I would have. We have some very, very sick people in this world. I pray your new flock will be fine and you have no more troubles and heart ach.

Is there anyway possible that could be a family of coons? I just can not imagine one single human doing such a thing... Please someone anyone agree with a family of coons. I couldn't finish reading the article it was so horrible.

stancourtney wrote: Yes, this thread is a year old, however, the new incidence of chickens being killed in Central Illinois is very similar to what happened in Alaska. How many people have ever heard of chickens being killed and lined up in a row?

I've found Red Fox caches of chickens (they only leave the feathers) arrayed around the base of big Cedars that, had I not known better, I might have described, in the telling, as `arrangement in a circle' rather than `circular', the former suggesting a connotation that demands the action of a predator capable of abstraction. We humans are particularly prone to deriving `patterns' from what are nothing more than random collections of material in the visual field, and we perform this task on a nearly automatic basis with all the facility of Shakespeare's extracting metaphors. When an actual `pattern' exists the interpretation often precedes the analysis and, I admit, it is fun to `frame' the Pollocks, i.e,, `well, it is a painting'...
A `straight' line? Standard preds (like most humans) like to move on path of least resistance/most safe; think `maze runner', straight or spiral, whatever gets a raccoon out with the chooks, or robber out of the bank the quickest....

When these sorts of `reports' are made I require photographs. In the story referenced were the feet all pointing outward/downward, feather spread, if any?? Had the putatative human offender jammed hot cinnamon Jolly Ranchers into the poor chook's fundaments then, yes, time to grab up the tasers, nets, leathers and Haldol instead of setting out snares along the fenceline.

IIRC the most recent human predation mentioned on BYC was the result of a spiteful/disturbed? in-law.​

As far as the dead chickens in Central Illinois, the homeowner went on vacation so I won't be able to visit the location for a couple of weeks.

Those poor birds... I don't even know what to say.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I don't understand the "serial killer" comments. We may not like it when animals kill our chickens but they are only doing what comes naturally.

Back
Top Bottom