Sad, bad new outta North Pole...**Warning**Graphic description...

This thread is more than a year old.
wink.png

Quote:
I have never heard/read about any animal decapitating 26 chickens outside of a coop and lining them up in a north/south pattern outside of a chicken coop. That's not to say it's impossible, but I couldn't imagine raccoons killing their prey and then lining up the bodies.

Yes, this thread is a year old, however, the new incidence of chickens being killed in Central Illinois is very similar to what happened in Alaska. How many people have ever heard of chickens being killed and lined up in a row?

Even if it was a racoon buffet? you never know
lol.png

Quote:
I have never heard/read about any animal decapitating 26 chickens outside of a coop and lining them up in a north/south pattern outside of a chicken coop. That's not to say it's impossible, but I couldn't imagine raccoons killing their prey and then lining up the bodies.

This happened to 20 of my chickens in January! Six of them didn't have heads and they were piled up together. Next to the large pile was one of my hens and her 5 babies. Oh, and no blood. This was all inside my run and while there were signs two were killed out of the run, they were all inside. The gate was closed securely, the 10' fencing undisturbed and no signs of prints of any kid anywhere. We set the trap every night for the week following and nothing....we've lost birds to predictors and have set the trap and caught something every time because they do come back or the food source.

Also, my rooster wasn't killed and I believe that's because people are afraid of roo's and he probably attacked them. He hasn't been my sweet man ever since that night. I have to talk to him and remind him he's OK or he can be threatening. Especially to my husband so I believe it was a male.

While some of the things that occurred are reminiscent of a certain type of prey, it's just about unheard of for an animal to kill that many birds, not take any with them for food and not return for the sure meal the next night. The trapper told me that the most one animal will kill, and it would be unusual would be about 7 and they eat at least one and come back for more........even the one's that kill for sport (which we don't have many of those species in our area) wouldn't kill that many.

It was human and I was very afraid for a long time. I'm just rebuilding my flock back up and I pray it was a one time kill!

Back
Top Bottom