Sad day at the Post Office

We are expecting some chicks from Ideal shipped today...hope it is not too cold...about total of 50 chicks.

I am sure they will refund the differences in chicks when they didnt make it...or too weak or dying.

Maybe ordering from McMurray or a closer hatchery would deliver chicks better and not too long in the cold waiting for loading up...who knows!

Wish us luck!

The issue with the seller needing to ship - he is moving - So he was not going to wait for spring weather . I would rather do without then risk it-

I also made a huge error . I thought that hatcheries were bound by FEDERAL guidlines for shipping. As in who would ship anything to a place that is -15 like Ohio is right now . I get more amazed each day at how much of the PO is controled by local policy not Federal guidlines

sad to say but we have lost six more of the chicks it was a long hard fight but they got to weak to keep fighting.

I received my chicks last April from Mcmurray. But I chose not to recieve them before April 22. I live in NY and temps. don,t warm up much before that. My chicks did good. My Mom is a retired postmaster and remembers getting alot of chick mail in the spring. I would think it was caused by the shipping and not the post office. Probably a case of being too cold. That,s to bad I feel sorry for you. My mom used to put water on her finger for the little chicks when they came in to the post office.

I think that the large hatcheries ship chicks as they are ordered because it would be impossible for them to check on what the weather conditions would be everywhere along the route for each the many shipments sent out all across the United States.

Since they have to set their eggs three weeks in advance, they certainly couldnt predict what the weather would be by shipping time in any of the thousands of destinations for the chicks.

Plus, the chicks need to be shipped immediately after hatching, so they lose less money (and chicks) by having to replace a few shipments than they would if they canceled the shipments and had to euthanize all the unshipped chicks.

chel

Good points chel! I wonder though, if they expect things along part of the rout to be very cold that they wouldn't hedge their bets with some time release heating pad to just keep things above "too cold". I'm guessing chicks can be overheated too, so maybe it's 6 in one hand, half dozen in another.

I was scared after reading this thread. We got our chicks this morning and only lost 1 (eye was pecked out). The chicks were toasty warm in the box when we pulled them out (hot even) and only 2 air vents were open. I'm guessing some kind of time released heat pad would have fried them. The post office said they rode in the back of the truck and then they called me immediately when they got to the post, put them by a heater, etc. I don't know if it's because we're in VA but it has been in the single digits at night here. I wonder how long the post office can keep them before calling the folks who ordered them? I called my office yesterday, gave them my name and # and told me to call, no matter what time they came in and I would come get them. So, at 6:15am we got a call. But conceivably, the post office could wait half a day before letting someone know and that could be too late.

If they're shipped with other chicks, have a minimum amount of air vents, and the post office called you right away, I would think it would be fine. We're doing ours in the basement for at least 2 weeks, maybe more if it stays this cold.

I too am thankful for our post office continuing to ship day-olds, it's a blessing for sure.

The Post offices definately have a certain amount of liabilty in these matters, but the true responsibility is that of the purchaser. Sorry but it is the truth! It is winter time!! We all tend to get a little chick crazed after the peeping stops, but it is also well known that in many places its just down right cold. People Order your chicks when the temps are less likely to cause un-necessary deaths. ALL of the hatcheries give you the option of arrival dates. They don't force you to have them delivered when it is
-degrees out. Nor do they make you buy them when it is 108. I have ordered many times from darn near every hatchery and these are MHO on this matter.

Back
Top Bottom