Sad Day :( Can the chickens make my rabbit sick??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hen House 60, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I lost my Flemish girl today. She died right there at the Vets Office. They said URI, she is the only one that is ill. We did have about 6 inches of rain last week. I thought she just had a cold I did not expect her to pass.
    Her pen is the closest the the chickens--Do you think she could have gotten sick from them? Maybe the wind blew something her way and caused this??[​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Rabbits can acquire Pasteurella (sniffles, can progress to pneumonia) from chickens, even if the chickens are apparently healthy. However everything I've read indicates that apparently-healthy rabbits not infrequently carry Pasteurella and that clinical symptoms may be as mcuh or more a result of some other source of stress/poor health.

I don't believe there's anything else that rabbits can get from chickens taht would cause respiratory infections (as opposed to other problems).

Plus if your rabbits are not actually *in with* the chickens, I'd say it's probably unlikely to be the chickens' "fault" anyhow.

Sorry about your poor lil' bun,

Pat

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear about your bunny. [​IMG]

4. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    I had this happen to me. Brought home an Eng. Lop from a show was fine for a long while went threw a really rainy spell. Like 30 days of daily non stop rain. I don't know if the stress...They were all caged very high and away from the water. She got sick and I almost lost my whole herd. Rabbits have there issues and Pasturella is one of them. I think its some thing they may harber and under the right conditions it come forward. Chances the pedigreed Eng. Lop may have been a lil inbred which works with weaking the immune system and when the stressful conditions developed out it came and there they went.[​IMG] Sorry for your loss.

5. dddCT

dddCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    Sorry for your loss.

6. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I have the Necropsy Results--Don't blame the chickens!! I still plan to move them.

Our bun passed from a Pyloric Tumor--its a tumor in the opening of the stomach. The vet said this was a heredity thing and there was no way of knowing. There was nothing we could have done for her, she was already too far gone once we noticed she was ill.

Thanks for all of the kind words.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by