Sad Day here at Heavens Door Acres.

POEM_Gate.jpg

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

Last edited:
Foghorn...Goldens are just that. Golden. They are great around kids and other pets...they have a big heart and just want to please everyone...thats why we fall in love with them. Treasure every day you have with yours....The pain will always be here, but in time will lessen im sure...thanks to everyone for the kind words....

Deb, I am so sorry to hear. What was your Golden boys name? My family and I have worn those shoes you're walking in! It is such an awful feeling. Your memories are your golden treasure!!! I am sorry!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I lost my baby 4 years ago, and the simple mention of his name still brings a tear to my eye. Know that our thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

I lost my bassett hound, TJ, at 13 years old of cancer. That was more than 5 years ago and I still dream about him. Nothing can ever take the place of a cherished family member.

I also have a dog who is 14 years old. A little Pom who I have had since he was only 6 weeks old. He has actually been with me longer than any husband I had (lol). I am not looking forward to the day when I too will have to make that decision. He is still pretty energetic but in the past six months he has lost his hearing until he can barely hear me at all. So, I know he is slowly going down now. He is my family since I am a widow. I hope you have someone there to give you hugs. You also have your memories. You might consider getting one of those picture frames that has memory in it and can change photos every few seconds and put some memories of your dog on it. That way you can see him as he was and not as he is now. Hugs...Diane from Idaho

Back
Top Bottom