sad day in oklahoma

countryokie

Hatching
7 Years
May 18, 2012
my wife and i have been raising chicks since march. about a week ago, we decided to let them out during the day. today when we got home from work, they were all gone. w found a couple piles of feathers so i figure a hawk or fox got them. they were by our horses so i would have thought that the horse would have scared them away.
anyway, my wife is really sad and i wanted to get her some more chickens however we are past chick season at the stores. where is the best place to find new chicks this time of year?

You can still order them from the hatcheries. Since it's past chick season, you won't have to wait as long to get your order.

I just checked the Ideal website, and most of their standard breeds are still available. Their minimum order is $25, which you can easily reach with 10-12 chicks, and shipping is really low. Especially if you order a lot of one or two breeds, so you don't have to pay the boxing fee. I have two sets of chicks that came from Ideal, and they're all good quality. Only 1 out of 22 turned out to be a rooster.

www.ideal-poultry.com

Last edited:
TSC Tractor Supply Company keeps chicks stocked in our area or you can place a free ad in your local area craigslist or other ads.
Here is a TSC store directory locator for states. http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreByStateView?storeId=10551&catalogId=10001
Oklahoma locations are, ADA, ARDMORE, BARTLESVILLE, BRISTOW, DUNCAN, DURANT, EDMOND, EL RENO, ELK CITY, GLENPOOL, GUYMON, IDABEL, LAWTON, MCALESTER, MIAMI, MOORE, MUSKOGEE, MUSTANG, PONCA CITY, PRYOR, PURCELL, SALLISAW, SAND SPRINGS, SHAWNEE, SKIATOOK, STILLWATER, TAHLEQUAH, WEATHERFORD

Thank you for the recommendation for IDEAL POULTRY. I was looking at Meyer's but Ideal is closer to me so it seems like a better option. I will check them out.

As far as TSC, the one here in Edmond doesn't have chicks any longer. We were in there about a week ago. I don't know if atwood's still has chicks but it seems pretty late. I am going to look at local feed stores hoping they have a few left. I really want to replace them as growing chicks really grew on me.

Thanks for all the input. This site is awesome!

I know that by me they have a poultry sale every month. Check around your area. You just may find one depending on where you live. Also go to the local feed stores. They may be able to direct you to someone that raises them. I just got 4 more hens and the way I found out about them was I went to the local feed store....Not Tractor Supply.....a local mom and pop store and they gave me the number for a place by me and is just so happened that when I called them they had four pullets that I wanted. And we got them for free. :)

Thank you for the recommendation for IDEAL POULTRY.  I was looking at Meyer's but Ideal is closer to me so it seems like a better option. I will check them out.  

As far as TSC, the one here in Edmond doesn't have chicks any longer.  We were in there about a week ago.  I don't know if atwood's still has chicks but it seems pretty late.  I am going to look at local feed stores hoping they have a few left.  I really want to replace them as growing chicks really grew on me.  

Thanks for all the input.  This site is awesome!

ask them if they plan on getting more. In my experience, the stores will get at least another order of chicks in. Usually a kind of random "whatever the hatchery has left" kind of deal Our local Orschleon's just got an order in on Friday, sold out almost immediately.

for me, if i were in your boat, i would order from a hatchery. there is risk because of the heat that they might not make it, but these hatcheries have alot of the logistics worked out so the majority of the time they get shipped successfully.

if you buy from individual or market nearby you run a real risk of chickens carrying illness that isn't showing when you get them. it would be really unfortunate to get more, get attached again, only to see them succumb to an illness they brought with them.
that's just me.

really sorry about your chicken loss. everyday when i go out to mine, i wonder what i will find. i've had my first calamity, i don't want another if i can help it.
best of luck

we sell our extras on craigslist. We wont be hatching after May but send me a PM. If I dont havr what kinds you want I would be happy to help you find some locally.

for me, if i were in your boat, i would order from a hatchery. there is risk because of the heat that they might not make it, but these hatcheries have alot of the logistics worked out so the majority of the time they get shipped successfully.

if you buy from individual or market nearby you run a real risk of chickens carrying illness that isn't showing when you get them. it would be really unfortunate to get more, get attached again, only to see them succumb to an illness they brought with them.
that's just me.

really sorry about your chicken loss. everyday when i go out to mine, i wonder what i will find. i've had my first calamity, i don't want another if i can help it.
best of luck

I just dealt with chicken illness, as well. Boy, did I learn a LOT! I recommend either getting them directly for a hatchery, or directly from someone who will hatch them for you, then give them straight to you without every letting them meet the other chickens.

Plus, with the hatcheries, you can try out all different varieties, if you're willing to pay the boxing fee. For Ideal, it's $1 for each different breed/sex you order. For my last order, I got 14 chicks/ducks of 12 different varieties. So I paid an extra $12, but shipping was only $7 on top of that.

If you go to the forum Where am I ? Where are you ?, click on the okies link, there are a lot of people in oklahoma on BYC, depending on what part of oklahoma you are in, you may find a close by ' okie neighbor ' to buy some chicks, or chickens from. Heck, i have way more of the chicks and chickens than i need myself.

Back
Top Bottom