Sad day, just had to share

rthepunk

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Sad day. Went to feed and water the girls and only 10 of the 11 ran out to great me. I was more concerned when I got out the mid-day goodies (scratch mixed with seeds and meal worms) and the 11th girl didn't show up. I found her squatted on the coup floor straw with her eyes closed and beak open to get air. She was bleeding from the next. So, one of my other girls attacked her. Husband also checked her out and we agreed she had to be put down. So, I picked her up and held her for a while to get warm. She relaxed and rested while being held.

Don't know why they decided to do this to her. But, she was at the very bottom of the pecking order .. so I guess they didn't like her.

Just needed to share with friends.

I’m so sorry for your loss :hugs.
The picture below is not meant to minimize your loss in any way, but to offer a possible explanation for the behavior.
B1DC80C5-973C-46F8-AB82-05EE0BBB982F.jpeg

Again I’m so so very sorry for your loss :hugs

I’m so sorry for your loss :hugs.
The picture below is not meant to minimize your loss in any way, but to offer a possible explanation for the behavior.
View attachment 1207658
Again I’m so so very sorry for your loss :hugs

You are probably right. I noticed yesterday her comb was pale. I thought perhaps she was ill, but she was running around just fine. But, I did notice a couple of the other girls tried to keep her away from the scratch mix she found and assumed she may be stressed from being quickly shoved to the end of the pecking order.

Many species will kill a weak member of their own group for the well being of the group it's self. In a wild horse herd, if a foal is sickly and not moving off in a reasonable amount of time, the mare will not leave it and the mare is more important to the herd than the foal is, so the stallion will kill the foal so that the mare will go off with the herd when they move away.

It's the way nature works, not nice, but it does make sense in it's way.

Back
Top Bottom