Sad day...Lost my favorite hen to a predator.

scubagirlwonder

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Sammamish, WA
Ugh....Lost my sweet girl Bob (yes, we named a hen Bob....it just fit her for some reason) last night, evidently the hen house door wasn't all the way latched and something (most likely a raccoon) managed to get inside the coop. Double whammy...thought the coop was secure, thought the hen house was closed up.....apparently not. Bob was my favorite of our 4 chickens; friendly, curious, would come running when you approached the coop, and BEAUTIFUL! My husband and I feel so guilty for not protecting her adequately!! She will be missed, it's just not going to be as much fun having chickens without her around.
Here's a pic of her as a young hen and one where she decided she needed to check out the camera.....

100566_cimg0057.jpg

100566_sv101981.jpg

Sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif
Same thing happened to us yesterday but it was a guinea hen. Both my DH and I thought the other had locked them up and both coops were exposed.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!!!!

I am just so angry at myself for not making sure they were secured, we had something knock over/dig through our trash two days ago, so we had ample warning that something's been visiting us during the night, but we just didn't think enough of it! BAH!

Thanks again everybody, the sweet comments you all have sent are one of the big reasons that I enjoy this forum, it's such a "family" here. Thanks!

Quote:
Woulda...shoulda. I wish we COULD go back in time, it's so awful to feel guilty, but we just can't. It's hard to lose a pet to a predator. Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom