1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad day

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gsgosselin, May 18, 2017.

1. gsgosselin

gsgosselin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    well I'm kind of new to this and have leaned heavily on the members for advise. My run is muddy and so I let the ladies out in the yard. I usually watch them for fun. But I left them to eat dinner. Maybe 20 min Well that cost me two hens. A blue Moran and an Americana. They were both good layers. We have skunks, hawks, owls, fox, coyotes, and stray cats. I wonder what could have got two? Not a cat, hens are too big, coyotes dont come up near the house. Hawks can't take two.
    Anyhow super bumbed out. I knew the only sympathy would come from fellow chicken folks. Won't leave them unattended again. I did find the blue, still warm. Her throats was ripped out as well as her vent. No sign of the Americana

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Heno

Heno Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2017
    Wisconsin

4. djunafarms

djunafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    So sorry for your losses. Sad day indeed.

5. Heno

Heno Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2017
    Wisconsin
    That does make a sad day. Have had that happen. Weasels can kill like that. Also, have had fox kill and carry chickens off and not leave a trace. Unfortunately, No more free ranging for my chickens. Built runs like forts. But chickens have so many predators, almost impossible to completely protect them. Sorry for your loss.

6. gsgosselin

gsgosselin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama

7. Heno

Heno Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2017
    Wisconsin
    "][/QUOTE]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry for you tragic loss. Please post on the predator threads and say exactly how you found the dead hens, ie, what damage was done. Many times that is a major clue in what predator did the deed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by