Sad day

gsgosselin

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2015
Montgomery, Alabama
well I'm kind of new to this and have leaned heavily on the members for advise. My run is muddy and so I let the ladies out in the yard. I usually watch them for fun. But I left them to eat dinner. Maybe 20 min Well that cost me two hens. A blue Moran and an Americana. They were both good layers. We have skunks, hawks, owls, fox, coyotes, and stray cats. I wonder what could have got two? Not a cat, hens are too big, coyotes dont come up near the house. Hawks can't take two.
Anyhow super bumbed out. I knew the only sympathy would come from fellow chicken folks. Won't leave them unattended again. I did find the blue, still warm. Her throats was ripped out as well as her vent. No sign of the Americana

Last edited:
well I'm kind of new to this and have leaned heavily on the members for advise. My run is muddy and so I let the ladies out in the yard. I usually watch them for fun. But I left them to eat dinner. Maybe 20 min Well that cost me two hens. A blue Moran and an Americana. They were both good layers. We have skunks, hawks, owls, fox, coyotes, and stray cats. I wonder what could have got two? Not a cat, hens are too big, coyotes dont come up near the house. Hawks can't take two.
Anyhow super bumbed out. I knew the only sympathy would come from fellow chicken folks. Won't leave them unattended again. I did find the blue, still warm. Her throats was ripped out as well as her vent. No sign of the Americana

That does make a sad day. Have had that happen. Weasels can kill like that. Also, have had fox kill and carry chickens off and not leave a trace. Unfortunately, No more free ranging for my chickens. Built runs like forts. But chickens have so many predators, almost impossible to completely protect them. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your losses. This is the New Member Introductions forum. I see that you have posted in a number of forums, so you are familiar with how things work. If you just wish to share, then this forum may be ok - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/pictures-stories-of-my-chickens.39/, or it you want advice, then the predators and pests forum would be fine.[/
No I didn't know I was on a new members page. The whole new process etc threw me. I looked all over to see how or where to post. I will strive to delete it from here unless you can do it from your end

So sorry for you tragic loss. Please post on the predator threads and say exactly how you found the dead hens, ie, what damage was done. Many times that is a major clue in what predator did the deed.

Back
Top Bottom