Sad day

Danmade

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Last night a raccoon got into my coop and did some real damage. I had 6 Rhode Island Reds, one of the was killed pretty quickly and two others were attacked before I was able to get in there and chase it out. One of the attacked hens got a bit beaten up but seemed like she'd be ok. Unfortunately the other one was so badly hurt that I had to put her down. I've never had to do anything like this before, never raised meat-birds (although even that seems like it would be easier than what I had to do this morning. I keep second guessing myself... but I know that she was suffering pretty badly, having trouble breathing, there really wasn't any choice but it was still kind of heart wrenching. The rest seem a bit shaken up but are acting relatively normal today, though the one who was attacked and survived is exhausted and seems pretty traumatized, though she's trying to peck at some greens that I threw in their yard which gives me some encouragement. Also, she seems to have lost a good deal of color from her comb.
Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to separate her from the rest of them for a while until she's recovered a bit? She's with the rest of them now but is just standing still with her head under her wing, semi-sleeping I think. Anyway, thanks for "listening," any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What a sad first post.
hugs.gif
You might want to watch the injured hen to make sure the others don't pick on her. The very best thing you can do right now is fortify your coop to save the others. If you're not sure how, post pics in the Coop section and sooo many people will help point out weak points. I'm sorry to say, the raccoon will probably be back tonight. I'm so sorry for your loss. Welcome to BYC.

Welcome to BYC.

How very sad for you. Now, get you a trap. Just bought mine after reading all the posts. Then just took eggs to a neighbor and her son saw a bobcat down at the back of their property. Now I am thinking I will be heading to town for a bigger trap.

We just all have to do whatever it takes to make sure our coops are secure.

I have five new hens in two different temporary pens now that I am concerned about.

Good Luck.

I would bring her into the house. Do you have a dog kennel you can put her into? She is in shock and could use some supportive care.

In the house, you can monitor her better and be sure she is eating. Scramble her up some eggs and keep food and water in front of her.

I am sorry about your other girls. Fix up the coop, hardware wire over any other wire. I would also get a live trap for the 'coon - you might want to hop over to the Predators/pets section for more tips for dealing with the 'coon.

hugs.gif
and Welcome to BYC

Oh, I am so sorry for you and your hens.
hugs.gif
I would separate the injured/traumatized one from the others, as horsefeathers said, a crate is a good idea so you can feed, monitor and love her separately. Although I have never had anything get into my coop, my little flock did witness an attack and death of one of a member. They were "all" traumatized for awhile....so give them all extra treats, love and above all else.......fix up your coop.

I am sorry. Let us know how you and the girls are doing.
hugs.gif

Shock causes them to feel cold - keep her warm inside the house but allow for her to be able to walk out of a heat suplemented area if she feels too hot Sorry for you loss and that you had to do the humane thing for your girl. I and many more than you will hear from here applaud you for your humanity, compassion and bravery.

Thanks everyone for your support, The coop itself is secure... I live in a semi-urban environment and there is a 10'x10' enclosed yard that the chicken coop opens up into. The yard is totally fenced in but there was a gap in the wire that I just hadn't noticed, so we had been leaving their coop door open for them, with the rest of the yard sealed off... It had been like that since about May, though in hindsight it seems like it was just a matter of time. Thanks for the comments and advice.

Back
Top Bottom