1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad discovery... UPDATE

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mahonri, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Saw an add on Craiglist, advertising 10 Rhode Island Reds and Easter Eggers, year old 'laying hens' for $5.

So son of Mahonri and I drove the 15 minutes north...

When we arrived the folks tell us not to be alarmed, they rescued these chickens days earlier... they were probably given to them.

No RIRs available.. some CQs, a few EEs, 1 BSL, 1 WR, some were picked almost clean of feathers... reminded me of the Israeli breed of chicken. When they told me they had gotten 8 eggs out of the 10 hens today, I was incredulous.

They also looked 'old'.

I picked the best one (Birchen EE) that they weren't going to keep and brought it home to try and get it back into shape. I've isolated it, I'm giving it water with vitamins, layer pellets and tomorrow I'll give it some yogurt and canned salmon... it was obviously in need of some protein. They had been giving them salt water and cat food! She said they got them from a backyard that had very little grass and it looked like they were fed very little.... the fellow told them they had been living on the insects in his back yard. Well, I imagine he was giving them scratch cuz the one we brought home was heavy.

I'm guessing it will take me at least 3 months to get it into shape and then I wonder if I will keep it. I felt sorry for them, didn't want to leave without taking at least one off of their hands... I wonder if he will just kill the others. Sad, sad, sad...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Thanks for taking one. Poor things. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You are a kinda hearted man, Mahonri!

4. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Gosh, I hate to hear about things like that! Thanks for taking at least one of them, Mahonri. Perhaps there are some more BYC folks in your area, who'd consider taking one or more, as well...? Come on, ya'll!

5. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Hope she gets better. I couldn't have walked away, either.

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Well you certainly chose the right! One chicken will be able to live a good life. [​IMG]

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Bless you my friend... chickens need more people like you.....

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Poor things! I am glad you were able to rescue one! That was very kind of you and I am sure in time, she will turn out to be the sweetest bird (being rescued and all).

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here is a pic of our rescue...

She looks WAY better in this photo... you can't see her bare feather picked red butt.

Vitamins and good food and hopefully she'll be OK.

She can see the other chickens but can't get near them.

[​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may want to treat that one for scaley leg mites, too. They gave them salt water??? WTH?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by