Sad find in the pond

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I went outside this morning and saw white feathers across the yard. I thought in horror it was out new silkie and something got it. But she was in the coop and just fine?! I know she was moulting some, but no way that much.

I brushed it off... then I took my daughter for a walk around the pond and saw one of the ducks floating dead in the water.

Now, we just moved here like 2 months ago, and the neighbors informed us that the ducks in the pond belonged to the previous home owners and in turn the neighbors say they are still our issue. Basically, they've been on their own for quite some time now and I claim no ownership of the animals. (I just feed them and enjoy their company.)

Sadly, I would like to know what offed this one. My mother says we have LOTS of turtles and that they can pull the ducks under and kill them. Is this true? Did a turtle kill the duck? We do have an OVERWHELMING amount of turtles in the pond?

Anything is possible I guess
idunno.gif
I've never heard of turtles taking down ducks. Maybe a large snapping turtle. What kind of turtles do you have?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what kinds we have for sure. My husband has caught 3 different kinds (like 12 or more turtles total) while cat fishing. I've seen the painted turtle, he brought one up to the house to show our daughter and it was a good 10lbs or more. The thing would have snapped the line had he not netted it.

Could we possibly have a huge snapper?

I figured if it was a cat or dog it wouldn't have left it in the water let alone near the water. My husband is going to fish it out.

I was considering getting some ducklings eventually, but I don't want to risk them getting taken under.

Snapping turtle wouldn't have to be especially huge to get a duck, and there are LOTS o' snapping turtles in your area, so it seems a reasonable possibility.

Or, a hawk or owl etc could have gotten the duck and tried to fly off with it but dropped it (dead) in the pond. Much less likely but it can happen. Even concievable that a fox, dog, raccoon etc mortally wounded the duck who escaped into the pond but expired.

Regular pond turtles (not snapping turtles) are not going to do any harm to ducks, btw.

Condolences,

Pat

Yep, they'll do that alright. Snappers are mean as heck. And can ya say ugly!!! But they make pretty good soup, ya just gotta know how to cook 'em right.

Last edited:
Turtles will attack waterfowl. You should ask waterfowlrescue to show you some pics. She has quite the collection of pics of turtle attacks. You can look up plans online to build turtle-traps. That's what we plan to do before putting waterfowl out on our pond. We have turtles bad, they have decimated the fish we stock as well as ducklings from previous years.

-Kim

hugs.gif
I am so sorry you and your daughter had to find the poor duck.
hugs.gif

Yes turtles will take a duck and especially a turtle 10 lbs plus... I myself have been dreading the time when my ducks find their way to our 2 ponds. I know there are small turtles in the smaller pond. Other than putting fencing around the area I know of no way to keep the turtles or the ducks out of the pond
idunno.gif
. I don't want to fence out my horses.

I do want to
welcome-byc.gif

sorry it was this bad news that brought attention
that you had joined BYC family

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom