Sad :( Had to cull a chick

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I'm sad because we had to cull a chick named Yeti a little while ago. He was my only dark over dark brahma chick.
sad.png

He was an extra large chick and had some sort of neurological issue. My broody was so concerned about him she was having a difficult time trying to care for him and her other chicks at the same time, so we did what was best.

When I say we culled, I mean my DH did.
For those that would criticize me for raising chickens but not being able to handle culling, sorry but that's the way we work together, DH and I. It is what it is.

As my DH told me this morning....my heart is extra soft so he feels I should take care of the routine care of the chickens and other critters, he'll handle the dirty work. He says I need to stick to loving em.

RIP Yeti. You were a cutie.

AHHH Im so sorry
hugs.gif
My DH wont do it I have too:-( I had to do it this am to a chick that hatched 3 days late and it couldnt move-it just laid there for 24 hours peeping-you could tell something was wrong with it and the other babies were picking on it. I did it this am before everyone got up as we were all watching it
hit.gif

Sorry for your sadness truly I am-

It never gets easier thats for sure....Its just something about culling babies.......I had to cull one out of my last hatch of the year last year. Im worried that I may have to do it again, I have a batch of 78 eggs in.....

Quote:
I get the same phobia when i hatch chicks. Nobody else I know has the heart to do it and I can't stand to watch them die
sad.png
Have to use a sharp pair of scissors.

Awww Kat, I'm very sorry. Never an easy thing to face. I give you huge credit for having the fortitude to make the decision and to DH for doing to miserable deed. Great courage, inspiration and the little dude is better off now. Well done, both of you.
hugs.gif
all around.

so sorry Kat but i know where you are coming from i'm the same, its one thing recognising and accepting its for the best its quite another doing it. My son in law takes care of that side of things for my daughter and for me.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry. My own DH had to cull a chick this morning, too. It was very strong and healthy, but something was wrong with its hock joint and it could only scoot around on its bum. It's the part I really hate. I almost wish I had someone close to me who could do it without the attachment we feel to our birds.

Back
Top Bottom