Sad :( Had to cull a chick

So sorry it had to be done!! I can only imagine it was hard a h%&l....
hugs.gif

Im sorry for your loss.
sad.png
This might sound a little insensitive...but how do you cull a chick in a proper manner? I havent had to do it yet cuz Im a newbie to raising chickens. However, if I ever need to do it, I want to do it right and as painless as possible. I am thinking about raising chicks soon, and dont want to wait until the last minute to ask.

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel I was lucky this last batch I hatched had one chick that couldnt stand was very weak Finally told hubby to do the deed the next day if she wasnt already gone or better. Woke up the next morning, she was up running around jumping like nothing was ever wrong. I got lucky this time. We named her Miracle. Have more eggs in the bator, hope my luck holds. I cant do it myself. Luckly my Dh will handle stuff like that for me. Its wonderful to have a good man in my life.

Quote:
So sorry for your loss. I can't do it either so I keep a little fund to take them to the vet to be put to sleep when the time comes. That for me is a lot cheeper then therapy for myself which is what I would need if I culled one.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I would keep em as a pet myself if that's the way it was best for the chicken. After all, I have four very large meat birds as pets. It's no kind of life for a chick or any creature that can't move under its own power, even enough to get out of its own poo. Yeti is at peace now and IMO, better off.

Quote:
When I have had to cull a chick - both due to severe crossed beaks at hatch - I used very sharp, heavy duty scissors.

I agree with Horsey, that's probably one of the best ways. There are several other ways, too. My DH, having been a commercial chicken farmer for many, many years has culled countless numbers of chickens, both chicks and adults. I asked him not to tell me how he culled Yeti. I have the type of personality where I'm better off not knowing.

Back
Top Bottom