Sad little chicken

How long has it been since he hatched? Is his vent clear? No pasty butt? I ask because it kind of looks like he's got something hanging off his vent in the last photo that might be feces or might be leftover umbilical, but I can't tell. Pasty butt can kill a chick quickly.
He hatched Easter day and does have a black dried looking thing attached to his rear. Vent is clear. And he is a she...lol

Attachments

• 15560592956056638037790056468110.jpg
    15560592956056638037790056468110.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 13
Thank you. I did notice he was getting water along side the others so I hope that's a good sign.
Eating, drinking, pooping...I'd consider that kind of normal behavior hopeful. :D :fl

Here's a pic of my shrimp. The heat lamp completely messed up the color, so I changed it to B&W - hopefully, you can still make "her" out (upper right). She's the same age as the bruiser on the left.

823CEEFB-861F-495A-A44D-4A410FC8E3F8.jpeg

He hatched Easter day and does have a black dried looking thing attached to his rear. Vent is clear. And he is a she...lol

That looks like umbilical to me.....

I believe it needs some Neosporin on it with no pain killer of course.

Let's call in a couple more folks.....
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive ,

Thoughts on this little ones bum?

Can he open his eyes?
Kind of looks kike they are a little glued shut. If they are using a soft warm cloth to softly moisten them will help.
I would give him a sectioned off portion of the brooder using a piece of hardware cloth so he can see, hear and feel like he is part of the group and not alone. I would dunk his beak in water with electrolites and vitamins a few times a day untill he is going and drinking on his own. I think he has had a tough and exhausting time of it, and needs to recover.
Good luck and kep us updated.

That looks like umbilical to me.....

I believe it needs some Neosporin on it with no pain killer of course.

Let's call in a couple more folks.....
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive ,

Thoughts on this little ones bum?
Can you look to see if he's got a vent too?
I agree with @21hens-incharge it looks like an unhealed navel to me too. Also agree to put some plain neosporin or similar on that to keep it moist. Hopefully it will heal on up.
All you can do is see if you can get a little fluids into it, poultry nutri-drench 1-2 drops a couple of times a day or a little sugar water would be good too.

I second what @Wyorp Rock has suggested. Those pics remind me of someone that is totally disgusted with their circumstances. The chick could perk up with the infusion of glucose (warm sugar water) at one hour intervals, a couple drops at a time and being wrapped in a nice warm, fuzzy polartec fleece warmed in the microwave.

I'm betting with a little TLC for the next 24 hours, you won't be able to tell it ever looked so sad.

Back
Top Bottom