Sad Message about my Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by coffeemama, Jun 9, 2009.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    My chickens have been dropping like flies for the past few months. We had them for over 10 years with no problems- only lost on hen in that time to a raccoon and the other hens all lived past 10 years old. Anyway, we found that the culprit is Mareks. A warning to new chicken owners- buy vaccinated chicks that have been properly quarantined. We had to put down our pets and will try to start over next year with vaccinated chicks. Mareks is everywhere and even if you don't have it, and rodent or bird can bring it to your property. Beware.

2. dun chick

dun chick Songster

So sorry, thanks for the information. Hope you have better luck next year.

3. Wynette

Wynette Crowing

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm so very sorry for you!

I do vaccinate for Mareks - all the chicks I hatch, even though I've never had a case of it on my property (to my knowledge). It is around...everywhere....

4. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG] I am so sorry. It seems like everyone is having some major problems lately [​IMG]

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How awful, I'm sorry for your birds!

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    It made me sick-I had three young pullets and a 25 weeks old splash JG that was beautiful. I also had the sweetest older SLW hen [​IMG]

7. Hi Coffeemama, I am so sorry for your loss. I also lost 3 chickens to Marek's last year. We had just started out too. We made a promise to always get chicks that were vaccinated against Marek's.

You take care. It'll be better next year.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Val

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    So sorry to hear that. Hope your new flock does well next year.

Marek's is everywhere. We buy vaccinated chicks and vaccinate our own hatches.

9. briana1975

briana1975 Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Where do you guys get the supplies for vaccinations of your own chicks?

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear of your loss...I am having the same problem right now because I just got 25 chicks I ordered 2 months ago and they started dying...all bc of vitamins/electrolytes... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: