Sad news...

Unfortunately you guys are probably running into the city vets.

The veterinary business did not used to be like that in the old days. And people would do just fine winging it by using more skills and crafts of the trade than expensive equipment.

Now a problem now is that people are kind of forced into having some equipment that isn't cheap. Like a vet office has to at the very least have an X-ray machine. But often they will use older used goods that are retired from hospitals.

This is a factor why some of them can sometimes have some prices that are higher than we like.

I wish things weren't so crazy in this country...

This is a clear ripoff. You should report that guy to state licensing etc.

I have a family member who retired from being a vet. And it would shock them to hear a price like that.

One thing you and the others can try in the future maybe...maybe might work is to try to find the farm vets, not the 'get rich quick' vets. Farm vets are usually more decent people. (But might not be in the city.)

Still worth a drive to save 900 bucks if you ask me.

I can not believe someone would charge that much.

What state are you in again?
Near Grand Rapids, MI. There's no such thing as country vets here, at least not within 30 mile radius. I've looked. This is the first state I've lived in where good & reasonable vets are non-existent. And a few turned me away saying they don't do Avian, so the one I finally found was an Avian vet.

I have some friends who are vets. Vet school is expensive, and they don’t make a lot of money. They really aren’t out to gouge people. Crap just costs money...
Vets are expensive. The avian vet I go is very good, and I’ve brought my ducks to him for years. Actually, the previous vet I went to really did fleece me. And these are not city vets.

i was a bit peeved at my vet for all my poor girl, Sugar, went through. and i was pretty upset at the cost. But in the end, she’s fine now and being happy just being a duck. My vet was instrumental is that outcome.

For me, prevention for illness and infection is something I’m still learning about. That’s why I’m grateful for all of you here.

Near Grand Rapids, MI. There's no such thing as country vets here, at least not within 30 mile radius. I've looked. This is the first state I've lived in where good & reasonable vets are non-existent. And a few turned me away saying they don't do Avian, so the one I finally found was an Avian vet.
How far away is Dr Pol?!

If you are a Facebook'er, you can see my public post here.

One of my 5 week old Pekin ducks suffered attack from a Snapper turtle today. I'm being told it can survive with handicap. I have an urgent care appt with an Avian vet, but the cost is WAY beyond my means for a duck that may not have been kept to begin with (will be reducing the flock down to 4-5 once their sex can be determined). Any thoughts/suggestions on treatment or otherwise? Middle toe is stripped to the bone, outer toe looks broken completely with flesh holding intact, and webs are missing between all toes.
View attachment 2191323 View attachment 2191325
I would recommend Googling how to splint a duck's foot. I did and there are some videos out there. For the missing flesh, clean it up and bandage if you can. Good luck! Dang turtles.

Back
Top Bottom