Sad night UPDATE

achake01

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Hi, guys
I posted two nights ago after a predator raided the outdoor brooder and killed all 13 of my (four week old) chicks. I was completely devastated. This was the first time I'd ever experienced anything like this, and this forum was the only place I could think to come to for support/talk.
You were immensely helpful--after I mentioned that I didn't think I was cut out for all this, a bunch of you encouraged me to get-back-on-the-horse.
So---Just wanted to let you know that I went and got new chicks last night. They're super cute (duh) and doing great. As one of you said, just learn from it and move on. And that's what I'm doing.
Thanks again for all your support.
Best,
Anne Marie.

Take proper safeguards and best of luck.
smile.png

Unfortunately, everyone will have "learning moments" thrust upon us at one time or another.

Best of luck with your new babies.

I lost 3 of my 3mo old girls a couple of weeks ago. It was a black lab that got in our yard. I had just checked on my girls and the incident happened soon after. I now check more often on my remaining girls, as I saw another dog the other day. I know it's all part and parcel, but it's still hard to loose girls that I had raised...they're more like family (pets) than chickens.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but new peepers are always fun to watch grow. Good luck!!

Learning from others on this website is one reason we built a Fort Knox type coop! I did not want to risk my chickens to a predator and we took every precaution! I am so sorry for your loss but glad that you got back on the horse and have some new fluffy butts to enjoy!

Earlier this spring I went to my daughter's in-laws to check out their chicken set-up. It was on the fringe of the woods with a dog kennel for a run, no top on the run and numerous ways a predator could get in. I warned her to let her father-in-law know that he seriously risked his chickens with this set-up. She said she would let him know my suggestions for buttoning it up. Long story short, mama coons obliterated his flock including a gorgeous rooster this past week. They were not even my chickens, but I feel a great sadness for them and a certain anger that chicken ownership is taken so flippantly!

Sorry to hear your loss. I had chickens in a covered pen with 2x4 inch wire and hadnt lost anyone until it had rained for a week and the ONE place I didnt have something around the bottom of the fence< I had been using wood or bricks> is where the predator got in and took one of my BA's. I went out and fed that morning and counted and counted again, looked outside just to see if she was out there, then I saw the hole...........needless to say, hardware clothe, pieces of 2x4 inch wire cut to run the length of the pen a foot out held down by cinder blocks and wood, and no more losses. However, I used the same 2x4 inch wire on one of my chicken tractors and lost a 3mnth old BO/RIR cross. Hardware clothe has solved that problem. I hope you have better luck with your new babies. I know others on here as well as myself will tell you good wire and electric fencing does wonders.
smile.png

Rammy

Totally agree. Rural or suburb, the rule is simple: Leave no inch open. Not a one. Reinforce, Reinforce, reinforce.
Predators lurk everywhere.
This is war.

Anne Marie.

Back
Top Bottom