SAD PICTURES: Additional thoughts about our necropsy?

Because chickens are dumb.
They will fill up on the variety of treats before they eat a complete balanced diet.
Chickens lay eggs It's what they do.... When they stop laying eggs it's because something is wrong... Or they are old.

Think of all of the treats that you offer as chips and candy.
Think of how a kid would rather just eat chips and candy all day long.
Think of how that would affect their health.

I passed this along... thanks for explaining further.

WOW

Great attention to detail via pictures and report. Thank you very much. Now I know what to look for when I need a necropsy performed. I'm not squeamish at all but hubby lost it. Wish I were closer to you to be able to shake hands with you. Once again, thank you. you are an excellent teacher/reporter/recorder. I love it.

My OP is nothing compared to all the knowledge on this website!!! So much to learn!!! I had no idea.

I am sorry for your loss and nice job on the necropsy. Definitely salpingitis, in my opinion. Also, yes, slow down those treats. Excess abdominal fat can cause a whole host of health issues. I lost one of my top, most energetic hens this year to fatty liver. This girl did tend to stuff her crop until it was huge and hard each day, but it never occurred to me that she might be overeating until the necropsy.

Here's a good one on Fatty Liver to pass along to your dad - sorry if it's a duplicate.
When their diets are diluted by something they love- like scratch and corn!! - it lowers the overall percentage of protein in their diet. While yes, they're out on the hunt for bugs and greenery - they're hunting and pecking and foraging … vs. gorging on food they're handed every day... that's low in protein and helps contribute to the fatty liver issue.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/fatty-liver-syndrome

Back
Top Bottom