SAD SAD Month

andisgarden

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
I had 33 chickens in June and I have been so proud of my flock. They are quite a pampered bunch of birds..Or were pampered.
sad.png
sad.png
I sell eggs locally to friends and family and I really just keep the birds because I think they are neat, only fellow chicken owners can understand. Well starting in mid June a few coyotes started raiding my birds during the day while they were free ranging. They took out 13 in a matter of a few days. So, I decided it was time to keep them in their run and I covered it totally with shade cloth and made it a good place for them. Well a few weeks later I had something rip he hardware cloth off of my coop and killed 9 birds in one night. They sucked the eggs and generally just tore my birds to pieces. I was devastated! Fast forward a few more weeks. We have had the hottest summer ever and one day a couple of weeks ago we had a 119 degree day and I lost 9 more birds in a few days to heat. I am down to 1 lonesome bird and she is so lonely. My heart has been broken and I am wondering how I can possibly combat all of this scavenging? I put out live traps and so far we have trapped 3 coons and 7 possums. I would love to get the coyotes! I just had to vent..I guess I am going to wait for cooler weather and try again.

Thats a massive loss - how did they rip the hardware cloth? You can never stop all of the scavenging but you can build a predator proof coop and run, do you have any pictures of where/how they got in?

They ripped the screws out of the wood. I am sure they worked at it for a few nights. I got the larger 1inch, I think, cloth and it was enough to get in and out. I have had birds for 2 1/2 and NEVER had anything like this. I guess it is the combo of the super cold winter and the dreadfully hot summer? The predators have been so numerous. It is just awful!

I am so sorry for all your losses! Maybe you can hire someone to come out and trap/shoot the coyotes? Sounds like your lone hen could use a companion, maybe you can buy her a buddy. For now you could put a mirror and a stuffed animal in with her to help keep her company. I hope you catch all those predators!!

Quote:
Aw hun. I am so sorry. I've just gone through this and very much understand how you feel, but I know that doesn't make it even a tiny bit easier for you.

Is the pen you had a large outdoor coop that would be too expensive to cover with 1/4", or is it a smaller area where that might be feasible? 1/4" seems excessive, but with all my losses, I covered everything, outdoor brooder, chicken tractor, and quail pens all with 1/4" hardware cloth, to make me feel a bit better. I still can not afford to do my chicken run, at 20 x 14, and 6 feet high, its just too big for me to cover ($) so its still chicken wire for now.

I am very sorry you've had to go through this, and very sorry for your chickens. I hope you are feeling better, and ready to add to your flock again, soon.

hugs.gif

Jessa

I've read that some BYCers use electric fencing around their coops and runs - I think there are some affordable options out there for this, and from what I've read people have found it to be effective. So sorry for all that you're going through.

That is so sad. I'm sorry. Once a predator gets in to the coop they will keep returning because they remember that it was an easy kill. So if you try again I would change locations. Also, I use electric fence around my chicken area. We put up tin can lids all over the lines with a dab of PB on them. I have heard many night time yelps, but I have never seen even a footprint in my garden chicken area. We went to maximum security after a wild dog tore into the run and snatched 3 birds. Since then, I haven't had a single problem.

Back
Top Bottom