Sad, Sad, Sad

He's young. Needs more training like the others have said. He will need consistant training for a long time......it will be worth it but does take a long time.

Last edited:
Don't make the mistake of thinking your LGD will respond or learn quite like other dogs. They are geared very differently. Dog trainers usually have the most problems with them because they expect them to take to training the same way as other breeds, but they have been selectively bred for centuries to think for themselves and not depend on human direction to do their job. They can seem stubborn, or thick headed, but actually they are very intelligent. They learn quickly, but do not make the best obedience dogs, as they often decide if obeying your command is highest on their priority list or not in a given situation.

Realize they have an entirely different way of thinking and approaching a situation. Do your homework and you will do fine. The breeder you got your dog from can likely be of immense help in guiding you on how to raise it, as rarely do they want to see their dogs fail.

Lots of very good advice. We have a 1/2 Great White Pyrenees mixed with heeler and chow. She has been the most stubborn dog I have ever had. She is persistent in doing what she wants and not coming when she is called upon. She was born in early 2009 and is just now beginning to do what we ask of her most of the time. She runs anything away from our yard including our neighbors cows half way through their pasture away from our property.
The thing that has probably helped with her is that we incubated eggs in our house starting in Dec of 2010 through Spring of 2011. With the weather so cold during this time with snow we ended up bringing the chicks brooder boxes into the house and they dogs being around the chicks from day 1 until they went out into their coops. I am most positive that this helped with our dogs not wanting to chase and kill them.

Your dog is just a pup and will be for a good year and half to 2 years. They think everything is play and if it moves that is even better. You can not trust a puppy when you are not with them. You need to be with them to correct any behavior issue that might come up with the puppy and your poultry. You have to teach them. They are like a baby and do not know right from wrong.

Ours had a terrible chewing problem and she chewed me more than anything else. and wanted to climb on me and play with me all the time for 2 years. She would find everything thing near by and bring it into the yard and sit and chew it. Every near by animal that had died, she would bring it's bones up in the yard and chew on it. She is still bringing items that she plays with from somewhere into our yard. She brought a kids stuffed toy into the yard last week. never seen the top before but it was a toy for her and she plays with it and tears it up.

Be careful with your pup. It will be a great watch dog and protector for your poultry but you have to invest some time in it to correct issues and teach it. Good luck!

Your pup is very young as others have stated and should not be really trusted until year 2ish.

I have an anatolain, she came here as an adult so is not bonded to the chickens but does live outside with them and protects the property.

This link might be helpful, it helped me think of what types of problems could happen and how to deal with them.

http://www.anatoliandog.org/poultry.htm

you cant just place a puppy out there and expect him to learn his job you must take great measure to train him EVERYDAY thats like going to school on the weekends learning nothing then having school vacation for 5 days....then back to school for 2 .... thats what he is thinking. they are toys...does he have other puppy toys to play with?!?!? he is only a puppy but sadly once he has killed once he will never stop, its a dog thing. taste of blood gets to them and they kill their whole life. had one i put up with for year till i got rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom