Sad, timid, pitiful rooster

Threedog

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 18, 2013
Cassatt, South Carolina
I got a new rooster for my flock a few days ago (8 month old Buff Orpington), and I fear he may be a dud. He seems perfectly healthy, has shiny feathers, eats, drinks, has a full crop in the evening. Ever since I brought him home, I haven't heard so much as a peep from him. He's not crowing, he's not clucking... nothing. He is terribly bashful. When I open the coop to let the birds out, he's not the first one out the door. In fact, he doesn't come out at all! He hides in the corner with his head hidden behind a board! When he's out in the yard, he stays well away from the hens. In fact, when one of my more "amorous" hens came near him and hunkered down and presented herself (she does this any time anyone or anything comes near her lol), he jumped back and ran away and hid his head in a holly bush. I cannot make this up. I don't know much about where he came from, other than he was around other more mature roosters before I got him. I have no other roosters. Could it be that he's still in "omega" rooster mode, just trying to stay out of the way of more dominant roosters that don't exist? Will he come around? I wanted an energetic, assertive rooster with a lot of personality and the desire to lead!

He is probably still getting used to his surroundings. Also, believe it or not, a hen could be acting mean to him, and scaring him. I would give him several weeks to get adjusted--he will probably eventually assume his role as head of the flock.

How old are your hens? He is still young. If they are older, mature hens they are likely intimidating him.

How old are your hens? He is still young. If they are older, mature hens they are likely intimidating him.
The hens are definitely mature ladies in their prime. I would have though that after a year with no rooster (RIP Rembrandt) they'd be rather uh... let's just say lonely and eager to welcome a new beau to the yard. Nobody is being outright hostile to him though, so at least he's not in danger. Do you think he'll find his place soon, or will these cougar-hens always shun a younger man?

I think he will come around and eventually take charge. However it will take time. Orpingtons tend to be a "soft" breed as well as slow to mature. From your description of his former home, and life with more mature males, he hasn't managed to overcome the blend in with the wall mentality. I am sure your hens are sending subtle signals that he is an invader in their space too.

As long as there is no open hostility, I would just be patient and see how things go. It may take some time for him to feel comfortable and secure enough to attempt to dominate the hens. Just make sure he is eating and drinking (in case you only have one feeder and waterer).

I think he will come around and eventually take charge. However it will take time. Orpingtons tend to be a "soft" breed as well as slow to mature. From your description of his former home, and life with more mature males, he hasn't managed to overcome the blend in with the wall mentality. I am sure your hens are sending subtle signals that he is an invader in their space too.

As long as there is no open hostility, I would just be patient and see how things go. It may take some time for him to feel comfortable and secure enough to attempt to dominate the hens. Just make sure he is eating and drinking (in case you only have one feeder and waterer).
Well that's good to hear. If that's the case, then I'm sure he'll work out. I'm down to 9 hens at the moment, and even if they're not overly enthusiastic to receive their new fella, at least they're not beating him up. Thanks, I feel a whole lot better now!

My Rooster is scared of my 3 girls too! He is younger by 6 months. But today he squeezed between my deck and hot tub and the girls where surrounding him! We had to break a piece of my deck to get him out! what should I do?
He does is dance all the time to the girls and my Wyandotte does it back, what does that mean?

X 2 - at this point this is more an issue of being the new bird in the flock -- it's only been a few days and integration can take weeks, especially for a lone bird being introduced into an established flock of birds - add in that he is an immature male being introduced to mature females and you have that to contend with. A lot of chicken communication is invisible to us, but very much loud and clear to the birds involved, the hens are very much in charge at the moment and he is not yet comfortable enough to assert himself. Add an extra feed/water station or two and let him find his place.

Back
Top Bottom