Sad Update - My bantam has started gasping for breath :(

I'm sorry for your loss. We lost one of our 5 day old chicks today. He had a spraddle leg, we tried to hobble the chick, but he really made no progress. He sure was a fighter, though, so we were hoping he might improve. (I read that only 1 in 3 born with spraddle legs live).

Unfortunately, my son found him this morning in the brooder, just barely breathing, then he passed. My son buried him, then called me at work to let me know. It broke my heart that I couldn't be there for my son when he made the discovery. My son is 11 years old.

So, we feel your pain. Take comfort in the fact that you tried to help her, and she knew that. You showed her that by holding her all through the day and comforting her.
love.gif

Well The Chick who had spraddle-leg also had a slipped tendon, we tried our best but like a2ms said he was a fighter, but today he gave up.

good luck with your chickens.

Last edited:
redhen
Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. I would guess so, the way she kept looking at me when she knew she wouldn't make it, but kept trying to continue.

antiquebuff

Thanks so much. I really appreciate that. Yes we do. I'll cross my fingers for you. I still have one sick too that I'm starting to wonder whether she will make it or not.

rooster-red

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

a2ms4chickens

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. I'm so sorry for your loss
sad.png
And that your son had to do all that by himself too. It's a tough thing for me and I'm 27. I can only imagine how tough it was for him. Yeh, she didn't seem to be in too much pain in the end so I'm glad that she didn't have to suffer too much.

hot wing stables

Thank you. I truly appreciate that. Yes, they do seem to be tough even though so young and small don't they?

I'm so sorry about your sweet little chick! I just finished my first hatch and lost 2 to pasty butt and today one of my others looks like she has a respiratory illness. I know what you mean.......it's easy to get attached to them and every time you think you are in the clear, there's something else! I try to embrace the idea of loving the flock as a whole and that this is part of chicken keeping, but I'm like you.....I'm a pretty tough girl but when it comes to my animals I'm a mess. Hang in there
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom